• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota power steering question

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
I have a buddy that has asked for my help with his steering. He has an 82-83ish maybe 84 I don't remember Yota which had manual steering and he's got a pump and box from an 87 he's wanting to use with crossover/hydro assist. He's saying he'll have to drill the frame for the new box and my question is does anyone know where I could get a template or some direction on how I should go about this, notice I said I because he's scared to mess it up and if I do it he can say it's my fault it's not right. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Marc

Trail gear or marlin is gonna have the kits you need and the info to install

TBItoy said:
Yep.

cut a hole in the firewall for the front of the box to stick out of, then it will almost be far enough forward.

you'll have to buy a highsteer kit (best option), or rig up some crossover steering bits.

He's already got high steer arms and the parts to build crossover.

xjmarc said:
notice I said I because he's scared to mess it up and if I do it he can say it's my fault it's not right. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Marc

sounds like a great friend right there.....

xjmarc said:
Ask your buddy Robert, every time I ride with him he ends up using my spare parts, last time it was an axle shaft.

i havent rode with him since before the wedding. i saw him labor day weekend but it was when i was trying to get matt out after a break and i was making a mad dash to camp to take abigail to get the explorer.

I seem to remember when I did this to my 85, there were brackets that welded to the frame with sleaves, but after I cut my core support to push the box as far forward as possible, I found out there was either a straight or a curved pitman arm that would have stood the box up (instead of tilting it) so the core support didn't have to be cut. No idea who made the arm and all the available brackets at the time were for a tilted box. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I can't remember, it's been too long ago.

grcthird said:
I seem to remember when I did this to my 85, there were brackets that welded to the frame with sleaves, but after I cut my core support to push the box as far forward as possible, I found out there was either a straight or a curved pitman arm that would have stood the box up (instead of tilting it) so the core support didn't have to be cut. No idea who made the arm and all the available brackets at the time were for a tilted box. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I can't remember, it's been too long ago.

TG sells straight and dropped arms with their hi steer kits.

I like to use the drop arm, drill it out to 5/8" or 3/4" for a heim, and weld a double shear tab on top of it. Ends up being more "compact" than using the straight arm with the FJ80 tie rod ends.

If you're using the whole kit as it's sold, then the straight arm lets you mount the box more perpendicular to the frame and still clear the leaf spring.

I'm in the middle of going full hydro on my 88 so I have an IFS box with a flat arm. I also have a box that is set up for hydro assist even has the cylinder attached to it this box has a dropped arm on it . Also have a nib pump I went with a PSC. Let me know if you need anything.