• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota motor upgrade talk...

Paulie

Looking for man love
What would you toss in an everyday driver with 35s and sometimes weekend wheeler. I have read lots about people doing swaps and liking them offroad. i was thinking a stock 7MGTE from a mid 80s supra. just run it stock but rebuilt with fresh seals and gaskets. maybe some turbo things. (blow off valve, wastegate to adjust boost level, and possibly bigger down pipe dont know what stock is) how would that hold up reliablity wise. I want to hear other motor options that are on wheelers or street rigs.

Paulie said:
What would you toss in an everyday driver with 35s and sometimes weekend wheeler. I have read lots about people doing swaps and liking them offroad. i was thinking a stock 7MGTE from a mid 80s supra. just run it stock but rebuilt with fresh seals and gaskets. maybe some turbo things. (blow off valve, wastegate to adjust boost level, and possibly bigger down pipe dont know what stock is) how would that hold up reliablity wise. I want to hear other motor options that are on wheelers or street rigs.

I think you should leave it alone and wheel it.

as of right now i am, upgrading other things while this motor is fresh and running healthy. but later when it tires down upgrade to bigger and better.

Paulie said:
as of right now i am, upgrading other things while this motor is fresh and running healthy. but later when it tires down upgrade to bigger and better.

Ok. I didnt want to see it turn out like your old black one or like most of my projects.

my first toyota i had i built a 22R with a 20R head on it with the biggest cam i could fit in without modifying the head anymore, with a header, and weber carb. that things screamed on road and off, plus i still got 17MPG while pushing 35's and only having a 4 speed in it.

i've got a built up hybrid motor in my truck and really have no desire for more juice. sure, a little more low end torque would be nice but that's what gears are for.

ya... go for the 2jzgte twin turbo motor from a supra! a few mods and youre at 400-500 hp. you can find those engines around for like 2k too. good luck with ring gears after that, though.

CrustyJeep said:
The best upgrade you can do to a toy motor is to break it in half. And do not keep either piece.

:haha:

I'm thinking V8 of some sort... but that's just me. My progression when the 4.0 dies will be an easily wireable, simple to operate/maintain/troubleshoot, fuel injected small block.

NotMatt said:
:haha:

I'm thinking V8 of some sort... but that's just me. My progression when the 4.0 dies will be an easily wireable, simple to operate/maintain/troubleshoot, fuel injected small block.

Toyota owners don't believe in doing things right the 1st time...no matter how much expereince and knowledge you may share with them :haha: :haha:

i dont think supras had the 7mgte untill the 90s. i have a 2nd gen 1987 toyota cressida with a 5mge, non turbo supra motor. i think the 3rd gens had the 7mge. the 2jzgtte was in the MKIV supra.

if you want it, you can have it. it has 213k on it, and a spun crank bearing (i think). before it spun, it was burning oil, compression was ok, as i recall, i think it needed a top end rebuild. rebuild it, slap a turbo from a 5mgte on it, and it would probably be cheaper than almost any 5mgte or 7mgte. dont quote me on any of this, tho, its been a while since i cared about this stuff.

Jobless said:
Toyota owners don't believe in doing things right the 1st time...no matter how much expereince and knowledge you may share with them :haha: :haha:
at least we don't start off in entirely the wrong direction by buying jeeps:flipoff:

Latest posts