• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota oil filters?

Dain Bramage

i heard that on older toyotas (1st and 2nd gen) the only oil filter you should use is a toyota filter, which (apparently) has a anti-siphoning valve in it to prevent the oil from draining out. i guess this saves the timing chain guides. true? i am inclined to believe it, based on the amount of noise i hear from my engine on a cold start.:corn:

i heard that on older toyotas (1st and 2nd gen) the only oil filter you should use is a toyota filter, which (apparently) has a anti-siphoning valve in it to prevent the oil from draining out. i guess this saves the timing chain guides. true? i am inclined to believe it, based on the amount of noise i hear from my engine on a cold start.:corn:

That noise is from your chain---its an early warning sign to be ready to replace it...

But yes the toy filters have the valve in them.

It keeps oil in the top end, so your valvetrain isn't starved on startup. The Toy brand filters also have a much better media in them compared to fram and etc, they're comparable to Wix.

That noise is from your chain---its an early warning sign to be ready to replace it...

But yes the toy filters have the valve in them.
the engine only has 25k on it.:eeek:

It keeps oil in the top end, so your valvetrain isn't starved on startup. The Toy brand filters also have a much better media in them compared to fram and etc, they're comparable to Wix.
i do use wix, but i guess they dont have the valve.

Toyota filters aren't too expensive. Its worth it in the long run. I would just buy them and stick with them.

With a few exceptions every filter manufactured today has an anti siphon valve.
I cut them open on almost a daily basis and theres no difference in the ant-siphon technolgy toyota uses compared to aftermarket filters. The difference is in the filter media and overall construction/quality of the filter. You get what you pay for.

I've heard a lot of so-called toyota guys over the years say you have to run a toyota filter because it has an anti drain back valve and others don't :haha:

dumb shits :looser:

With a few exceptions every filter manufactured today has an anti siphon valve.
I cut them open on almost a daily basis and theres no difference in the ant-siphon technolgy toyota uses compared to aftermarket filters. The difference is in the filter media and overall construction/quality of the filter. You get what you pay for.

I've heard a lot of so-called toyota guys over the years say you have to run a toyota filter because it has an anti drain back valve and others don't :haha:

dumb shits :looser:
out of curiosity, can you post some pictures?

Top Row L to R. Fram Bypass, Toyota Bypass, Champ and Bosch Valves
Bottom row anti-siphon valves from L to R. Toyota, Toyota, WIX, Fram, Carquest.
img0972lp0.jpg

A look at a WIX on the right and a Toyota (Denso) filter on the left

img0976cv0.jpg

img0975tn1.jpg

Toy part #
img0977lt1.jpg

Filters that I deemed equivalent or close to Toyota offerings are as follows... WIX, Napa Gold and Silver, Carquest, Pro-Tec, Hastings, Luber Finer, Champion, K&N, Amsoil.

Do not buy a Fram/Pennzoil filter.

img0978yh4.jpg

I thought Wix and Napa were the same, just different paint. I have also heard that Wix is made by Dana.

I know Fram and Pennzoil are the same.

so that valve is just a rubber thingy that the oil has to be forced past, and when there is no oil pressure, it just seals to the inside of the filter canister?

so that valve is just a rubber thingy that the oil has to be forced past, and when there is no oil pressure, it just seals to the inside of the filter canister?

It basically just prevents oil from flowing backwards through the filter, like a check valve.