• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota oil presser question

bobbed80yota

Ok so the other day I lost oil presser in my 82 yota so I parked it cuz it started to knock so today I went and fired it up to see if there was any oil presser and as soon as it fired up I had oil presser so I let it warm up a lil and I notice that once it starts warming up the oil presser starts to drop does any one have a idea on why this would happen

What are the numbers, since "low" and "high" pressure doesn't give much to work on.

Oil gets thinner and as it warms up and the pressure drops. Oil pressure is dependent on all the bearings and seals in the motor holding back the flowing oil, so if you have a worn out motor with loose bearing tolerances, as it heats up the pressure will drop.

If you have good pressure on startup and poor pressure as it warms up, then you most likely have worn main and/or rod bearings.

start up 35psi and high 60 psi when on the gas but once it warms up it starts slowly dropping past 20psi at idle....... a bubby said the timing chain guide prolly broke and peaces got sucked up in the oil pick up could this be possible cuz if not i dont want to pull it all apart and it not be it

start up 35psi and high 60 psi when on the gas but once it warms up it starts slowly dropping past 20psi at idle....... a bubby said the timing chain guide prolly broke and peaces got sucked up in the oil pick up could this be possible cuz if not i dont want to pull it all apart and it not be it

I would not complain about 20psi at idle--pretty normal...

ok im going to give it another try and see whats up i might even drive it around to really see if the presser drops to 0psi but im sure it will need a full rebuild since some one did a half ass rebuild on it

ok im going to give it another try and see whats up i might even drive it around to really see if the presser drops to 0psi but im sure it will need a full rebuild since some one did a half ass rebuild on it

Are you using the stock pressure guage?

Are you sure you are actually getting a good reading?

Are you using the stock pressure guage?

Are you sure you are actually getting a good reading?

Usually the clakka lakka after the gauge drops is a good indicator that its working.

If you not sure tho, just keep driving it. If it never blows up its the gauge, if it seizes up then the gauge is working fine.

Usually the clakka lakka after the gauge drops is a good indicator that its working.

If you not sure tho, just keep driving it. If it never blows up its the gauge, if it seizes up then the gauge is working fine.

I used this method on two different toyotas. 87 pickup kept running and proved to be a faulty gauge. 88 runner seized and spun main bearings after 3 months proving the gauge was working in it. It wasn't a clakka lakka sound though. It was more a squeal that ended with a quick and deadly clunk.

Last edited:
i have a after market oil presser gauge ...... the truck had good oil presser and ran great when first got her but i will figure this out lol

I can't say for sure, but I think I remember all data saying that minimum oil pressure at idle on a warm engine is somewhere around 5psi. I know my stock gauge barely shows anything when it warms up.

20 psi at idle? Just drive it, that's good for a 22r.

Now if its making clacking noises, your buddy might be right... timing chain can slap the cover if the guides are broken and hydraulic adjuster is not working properly, which makes a pretty good racket. Take the valve cover off and shine a flash light down inside the timing chain cover and have a look-see.

Or it could be a bad rod bearing or main bearing, in that case, see first paragraph, 2nd sentence.