• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Owners Need Help Please

MtnGoat

Toyota Friends had an issue this evening on a test run...as many of you know I just finished a 7-month build and something happened this evening on the test run...

Starting off I locked the hubs prior to turning off the gravel road....I noticed my steering felt hard (extremely hard)...given I have a HP pump...blah blah but I could just tell it felt tight. I summed it up to being on gravel and turning....(has a front Detroit locker)...

Got in the woods....climb the side of the mountain and had zero issue... no noise, no nothing...although truck seemed different...harder to turn.

Started back off the mtn in 2wd and hit a somewhat bad spot and went ahead and put it back into 4wd.

After I got going off the mtn I could hear something popping...every now and then with the hubs locked in..got out checking the usual (steering arms, ball joints, etc.) nothing loose... but the steering somewhat loosened up on it...

Anyways got back to the house, had my pal jump in the truck in 4wd and dump the clutch on the gravel to see if the font end was pulling on the passenger side... to my surprise it was not pulling.....assumed the worse so wheeled it back into the shop....

Jacked the front end up, locked the hubs, and knocked it into netural.. (no noise, no clicking, driveshaft turning).... I spun both front and left tires...no issues...

I slid a hammer under the driver side tire to grab while I spun the passenger side....no issue both tires were engaged...

Boys I am confused as hell....I have ran Spartan lockers up front and occasionally could hear a click, but with a Detroit I have never heard a sound......what the hell happened this evening...all my **** is new and to torque spec... Please help Please :dunno:

Stock axles in the front? Mine was extremely hard to turn after the birfield let go. With no noise, I wouldn't guess that, but who knows?

Its a full case Detroit... truck had it in it when I purchased it.....

I am running 80-90 in the housing...damn things don't take nothing special do they?

I am confused and pissed all at the same time...

Seemed like the issue occurred after I started the downward decent.. lots of noise going on up there...plus I found it weird that the axle didn't lock in the driveway in 4wd when clutch dumped...??? on the stands it appeared to be functioning normal...

*PS I know it is hard a hell to help someone on a forum with a problem...but I am just hoping some of you guys have had this happen or something..

Thanks,

Justin

I am guessing broken birfield. Pull em and check. I've done it five times in the last two weeks. Sucks, but hard turning and noise sounds like the right symptoms.

lowbudgetjunk said:
I am guessing broken birfield. Pull em and check. I've done it five times in the last two weeks. Sucks, but hard turning and noise sounds like the right symptoms.

I would say I agree...but if I jack the front of the truck up and engage hub....turns fine, driveshaft turns....appears normal..

Typically when I bust a birdfield... its locked up and noise nomatter what...

In driveway turning in 4wd no noise... hell I cant hear it now...but in the woods I heard it loud while coming down the mtn...

I had some studs break once...on the steering arm once while heading down the mtn and I could tell it was that....had a birdfield explode and could tell....The only thing that ever got me confused was I had a bobby long break the end of the axle off inside the birdfield...clean break...tire would pull but it didn't lock up....

This problems appears to be in the 3rd or something...but I haven't messed with any of the 3rd, just pulled it apart and cleaned it and put it back in..

I noticed that on my old toyota running gear that my locker didn't lock up instantly. As far as the going down hill and clicking sound, thats just your tires applying load to the locker and when you are turning its unlocking. Under constant throttle it will remain locked, so it wont click.

Not sure on the hard turning issue unless you are under throttle causing then harder steering.

I run 42s with a full case Detroit, stock pump no assist and it never was hard to turn at all. :dunno:

I've never run a Detroit but when my cross pin broke in the rear it made some kinda noise when under throttle. When the front axle cross pin broke it didn't make much noise at all but would sporadically work or not work. My brother once got a 3rd set up at a shop and they didn't install the springs and pins correctly and it wouldn't send power to either wheel under throttle and made lots of noise. I'd start tearing it down and check the birfs over real good. If they all seem fine it's probably in the 3rd.

Just an idea...how about pu the rear driveshaft and take it back to the gravel road and try the same test? Without the rear pushing it the front should spin pretty easy...would be easier to tell if there's a tire not pulling.

Doesn't need a full throttle assault...but enough to break traction.

Ok boys....I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions. I finally got home this evening and took it back to the mtn... learned a lot.

All 4 are pulling.... so nothing is broke... ;D

Secondly, the popping I thought I heard...well I did hear it BUT It is coming from the shackle and spring under a load... just caught me off guard...(should be no issue). I just was freakin out I guess...

Thirdly, there is nothing wrong with the damn thing.....SHEW...... Basically when the locker engages that son of gun is locked and it doesn't unlock easy.....makes the steering super tight (but this only occurs if you are in tight trails, and in super low lock....the issue is probably worse due to the fact I have 5lbs of air in the 40s....

Again sorry I bothered everyone with this....it just caught me offgaurd with all the things happening... I feel dumb.

*Any of you guys run the hydro assist???????????????? Would it work to help the hard turning in low lock?

Yes. Or full hydro will make it even easier. Glad it is sorted. Mine is fukt til next weekend or so