• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota P-steering question

cisco

I just swapped power steering on to my 80. Anyone know what the two rubber hoses approximately 0.25" OD coming out of the top of the pump are for?

vacum lines can't quite remember exactly what they are for but i want to say they control idle to some aspect,

On the EFI power steering pump there is a fitting with two 1/4 inch fittings sticking out. Carburated trucks didn't have them.

That fitting is a pressure valve. When you turn the wheel which applies extra pressure it pushes the valve open which causes a small vacuume leak from in front of, to behind the throttle body. This ups the idle by a small amount to aid in power steering function. This function only works with high steering effort like while parking. If the tires are rolling there is less pressure on the valve and it doesn't actuate. Almost all cars have this feature.

Simply plug off all 4 nipples and you are good :awesomework:

A lot of people don't realize that there is a difference between 81-88 or 89 4runner pumps and "new" bodystyle 89-95 pumps. The newer pumps have a larger high pressure orifice. I think I remember reading on pirate about drilling them out to gain power steering pressure.

I have a 93 pump on my 88 truck. Man it's nice, hardly any effort at all to turn the wheel.

This episode of tech time brought to you by,

Patrick

Last edited:
O
A lot of people don't realize that there is a difference between 81-88 or 89 4runner pumps and "new" bodystyle 89-95 pumps. The newer pumps have a larger high pressure orifice. I think I remember reading on pirate about drilling them out to gain power steering pressure.

I have a 93 pump on my 88 truck. Man it's nice, hardly any effort at all to turn the wheel.

Once you pull the pressure bypass assembly thingymajig out of the pump you can look in and see the plate. I always drill the little tin plate with a 3/16" bit to take it completely out of the picture. Pull the bypass piston out of the pump and disassemble it, all of the write ups I've read mention shimming teh spring and shaving the piston the same amount so you still have full travel to bypass the pressure if needed but that is dumb. I used generic R/C washers. No shaving the piston needed I can return the pump to stock or add/remove shims if I have a pressure issue. :D