• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota people, please help. Need suggestions...

Sounds like a plugged CAT to me. Pull the O2 Sensor or drop the pipe and see if it revs up then.

Sounds like a plugged CAT to me. Pull the O2 Sensor or drop the pipe and see if it revs up then.
the cat would have to be severely plugged (i.e. no flow at all) to cause something like that. usually with a clogged cat you just have lack of power. With the random dieing/crank no start issue it doesnt really seem like that could be the culprit.

Yep it docent happen very often the couple that I fought must have been rattling for some time cause one had a large chunk of the CAT stuck in a bend of the tail pipe (that was fun to fish out of there), and the other (my 84 Toyota truck) went from ran great to it only would idle and foul plugs like someone flipped a switch. On it I found the broken up CAT piece turned side ways at the back of the CAT.

Pull the timing cover and check that the marks line up, then do your comp test. Jumped time would get my bet though. Plugged cat is easy enough to check with a vacuum gauge provided the rest of the engine checks out.

valves

if you do get to the point where the heads come off check the valves for any blow by and check to see if you have sliped a tooth and the timings gone they are overhead cams

Hmmmm. Brings up another question. Since this is a dual overhead cam motor, if the belt did jump a tooth, is there gonna be bent valves? Is there clearance if it is only one or two teeth? Or do the heads need to come off if I find the belt has jumped?

If the belt jumped, before you go to the trouble of pulling the head, throw a new belt on and see if it runs. You don't have to do a full reassemble, just throw the crank pulley and motor mount back in and try to fire it up.

Most toyota motors that have a belt are non interference motors.

If it has a timing chain it is most likely an interference motor.

Most toyota motors that have a belt are non interference motors.

If it has a timing chain it is most likely an interference motor.

X2.... Those 2.0L's--->I can't tell you how many broken/stripped belts I've replaced and the motor was fine...

If the belt had jumped, wouldn't it have a valve(s) open at the wrong time and give me low compression in one of the cylinders?

Typically you will have all 4 holes low (or high) if the belt jumped one way or the other...The two with lower compression are not next to each other, so I wouldn't think there's a head gasket issue...BUT the fact that two are exactly 130, and the other two are exactly 150 does raise question...A cylinder leakdown test is the most surefire way to tell where the compression's going...

Also, checked stored codes via the check engine light. Came up with a 14 which is ignition signal. Wonder if I should be looking at ignitor...

To answer another question that was asked, this thing sounds completely normal and healthy when cranking on it. I have never heard a car crank normal with jumped timing...

I also pulled the o2 sensor out while cranking. Did not get any excess pressure coming out. For now I'm going to assume (and hope) that it isn't a plugged cat.

With every other cylinder being just a little lower but exactly consistant, couldnt that have somehting to do with the fact that the crank timing is 180 out for every other piston?

A 4 cylinder has the 1 and 3 holes at TDC when the 3 and 4 holes are at BDC.

If the belt was ONE tooth off, could it still make compression in two cylinders that is just a hair higher then the two others since they are paired odd and even cylinders on the crank?

Of course this would be if it jumped on the crank pulley. With overhead cams if it had jumped on one cam it should affect all the exhaust or intake the same and result in consistant readings.

????

Its free to check timing marks.

Its good that its not a head gasket tho or worse. Just more trouble shooting.

Also, checked stored codes via the check engine light. Came up with a 14 which is ignition signal. Wonder if I should be looking at ignitor...

To answer another question that was asked, this thing sounds completely normal and healthy when cranking on it. I have never heard a car crank normal with jumped timing...

Ignitor= common failure and can act like you describe.

Good that it sounds normal while cranking.:awesomework:

Correction for ya choppy... 1 & 4 come up together, and 2/3 come up together (paired), not 1/3 & 2/4...:awesomework: