• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota power steering jumped a tooth?

FireballXL5

After the last outting I have a suspicion that I may have jumped a tooth on the power steering gearbox... It's leaking oil around the seals and I plan to replace it soon... For now... Is there anything I can do to diagnose/help it through the trails today?

I definitely hit some big rocks trying to get back to the trailer last time, and it would barely turn to the right afterwards... Something is up, and I know it needs 'something'... I've sourced another toyota gearbox and drop arm, but have to pick it up... I'm on the trailer and wanting to wheel today... Any quick tips?

Fair warning--if there is an issue with the box--don't hit reiter...

And there are a number of reasons when its off center.. The box won't skip a tooth--it can however twist the sector shaft or then input/spool valve assy..

I would look at the steering shaft and make sure its not twisted..

Some things are acceptable "issues" to wheel with in my book but steering isn't one of them..

So, dropped the arm, I get 4.5 turns out of the steering box, went 2.25 back from full extent, and put it back on... I now get equal steering both directions...

I'm not hearing any grinding or chunking... And the power steering works when sitting on the trailer not moving... I may have bent the lower arm because now it's creating new scratches under the frame... Which is why I'm gonna buy another unit with a larger drop to it...

I've always had less steering in the right direction than the left, perhaps I just bent the arm and eccentuated the effect... Or I bent the ball joint stud and just made it worse than before... I don't think I've got any catastrophic failures in my future... I'll test it out a few times in the parking lot first before I get too far from the trailer... ;-P

The steering arm does look like its a little funky... Like bent upwards a little... I bet that's what it did... I tried bending it back down with some pipe wrenches, but I broke two of them trying that... Guess pipe wrenches aren't made to handle side load... Lol. Either that, or they were cheap or old...

Steering went just fine... But the clutch cable took a crap... Made it through the first trail once before it went out... Oh well... Off to north bend to pick up a window and clutch cable...

Winch went funky... I'll explain later...

After a little helpful insight from the guy I was looking to buy a toyota 4x4 power steering unit from, it looks like I've got a PS unit out of some car... Mine mounts inside the frame, not outside the frame like yotas...

Perhaps I'll look into just a drop pitman arm and then rebuild this one with new seals... Works well otherwise... Just leaks fluids...

This is what the Craigslist guy was selling:

2EF15FD4-13F3-4F05-8B8E-6F47EB14B7F9.png

Thus was the example he showed me of a Celica box... It looks more like mine and mounts in the frame instead of outside... I think this is what I've got:

36062FD2-0C13-4A71-A35C-36B804323F7D.png

Perhaps I can rebuild the leaky seals and replace the drop pitman arm and be in business... Would any toyota steering arm fit? Or are they different between these two models? The craigslist guy will sell me a pitman for $20...