• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Question

pjprice

I found a stockish 89 pickup with a blown motor for a pretty fair price and was wondering which way to go with it. I'm sure people have but I've never looked into it so what is involved in slapping in a 22r? Or would I be best sticking a 3.0 back in it?

I've had a 3.0 and a 3.4. Big difference in power. No idea how hard the swap is though. My 3.0 ran out pretty well though. Had to do water pump and timing at the same time which was a PITA.

I wouldn't sink a dime into a 3.0

Now that ORS is making harnesses again, I wouldn't hesitate to slap a 3rz in an older fuel injected truck.

Re:

I would just plan on going 3.4 or 2rz. If you swap a 22r in place of the 3.0, you will need a ecm and harnesses. 22r's are getting slim and more 2 or 3rz are on the road.

The price shouldn't be much higher.

I'm not sure of the differences in a 2rz vs 3rz but I've had a 3rz and two 3.4's a 3rz is one of the toughest torqueiest motors I've driven as far as 4cyl's go! 200k 2.7 5 speed with 4.10 gears and 38sx's and could drive it on the road just not over 3rd gear at highway speeds! The two 3.4's were awesome motors too!

Re:

3.4 swap into a 3.0 truck is pretty plug and play from what I've read. The swap is pretty well documented on ttora and pirate from what I've seen.

You can usually buy 2wd 3.4 powered 3rd gen 4runners for pretty cheap, would be a good swap donor.

I wouldn't waste time swapping a 4cyl into a 6cyl truck,

2rz is 2.4L from a 2wd Tacoma, 3rz is 2.7L from a 4wd Tacoma.

I have 2 3.4 vehicles, a 96 Taco (236k) and a 97 4Runner (296k) both still run great and have plenty of power (for a v6)

Re:

There's a 4.3 swap on here for 800 I think. Not sure if it would work for your application but seemed like a good deal

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=49941.0

Edit I have no affiliation to the seller or if it would work in your truck.

Re:

ranger11 said:
There's a 4.3 swap on here for 800 I think. Not sure if it would work for your application but seemed like a good deal

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=49941.0

Edit I have no affiliation to the seller or if it would work in your truck.

I got in touch with him just a few minutes ago and plan on picking this up Saturday unless I find out for some reason it won't work. Any input on that would be appreciated but from what I've seen it should be alright!

I did the 4.3 swap a few years ago. It was a fun project to do. The radiator was a little tight.

Re:

pjprice said:
I got in touch with him just a few minutes ago and plan on picking this up Saturday unless I find out for some reason it won't work. Any input on that would be appreciated but from what I've seen it should be alright!

PM rokcrler (Mo), he is always up for a new challenge ;)