• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota rear ends.

If you're wanting an upgrade form the 8" diff, I would look at either a Tacoma 8.4" or a Land Cruiser 9.5". Both of those are easily found and stronger than an 8". thumb.gif

Re: Re: Re: Toyota rear ends.

bluetoy said:
If you're wanting an upgrade form the 8" diff, I would look at either a Tacoma 8.4" or a Land Cruiser 9.5". Both of those are easily found and stronger than an 8". thumb.gif

X2.

The ring gear is the weak link on 8" Toyota rear ends anyway

I run fj40 91/2" stuff I sheered off a old 6 spline pinion but the new fine splines have much more meat. they are good but I may watch for a fj80 LC rear for updated stuff and stock rear discs ! or build a hybrid with LC center and IFS outers and bearings It's all cheaper and lighter than the other stuff !

billstoy said:
I run fj40 91/2" stuff I sheered off a old 6 spline pinion but the new fine splines have much more meat. they are good but I may watch for a fj80 LC rear for updated stuff and stock rear discs ! or build a hybrid with LC center and IFS outers and bearings It's all cheaper and lighter than the other stuff !

I'm using the center of a semi float c clip fj80 housing with ifs outers and shafts for gremlin. I don't think the 8" rear will hold up to 39 reds

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Toyota rear ends.

TBItoy said:
...I don't think the 8" rear will hold up to 39 reds
I have a pile of broke r&p that prove that.... But I'll keep trying molaugh

billstoy said:
Dam that was a good idea I had but someone did it first.

I haven't finished yet, just got the housings tore down. Gonna turn out some pucks for the bearing cups... Some people say you don't "have"to use an alignment bar on semi float housings, but I have one so I figure I'll use it.

I agree. FF 9.5" rear is the way to go.

Nick, you have a build thread on your hybrid front. I know Eric Hagan did one similar a couple years ago.

jordan7118 said:
I agree. FF 9.5" rear is the way to go.

Nick, you have a build thread on your hybrid front. I know Eric Hagan did one similar a couple years ago.

I'm doing a hybrid rear.

I considered doing a hybrid front like eric's, but decided against it.

I'm running a HP front and 30 spliners in this rig, so the front should be "ok" till I'm hard on it

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Toyota rear ends.

TBItoy said:
I'm doing a hybrid rear. I'll probably add it to the gremlin thread on pirate when I get it done

I'm running a HP front and 30 spliners in this rig, so the front should be "ok" till I'm hard on it

i've got a 9.5 elocker third member out of a 100 series. 9.5's in lc's and fj80's are 30 spline, this one out of a 100 series is 32 spline. if anybody wants to build something real custom, let me know.

TBItoy said:
I'm doing a hybrid rear.

D'oh! Sorry. Misread that :embarrassed:

i actually just got done doin this same thing......used an fj-60 housing and a pre-IFS rear axle hydrbid combo. Also using an fj-60 front axle with all the toyota goods.... sorry for the shitty pics. Im very happy i went this direction with axles

I have a odd hybrid front end but low priced I used a fj40 9 1/2 they accept mini truck outer stuff 6shooters, LC width Longfields and drive flanges
I wanted it wider so I cut the short side and added 12 inches so I could run 2 LC long inners not to high priced and easy to get parts my last upgrade was a ARB.

What about those 69 axles? No need for one ton outers??? Or are the fj80s stronger? Thought about getting mine cryod but not sure how much stronger they would be.

I'm assuming a Yota hybrid would be better because of a stronger 9 1/2 and your not breaking any outer stuff so no point in going with rcv's?

Probably should have looked deeper into this before I built these 85 axles...

Running 37 reds with 175 HP. Haven't got to drive it yet. Hopefully it holds up.

Even if you use 9.5 3rd your still stuck with the same size pinion as a minitruck 3rd (unless you get one out of a newer 100 series) and yes the ring gear has a bigger diameter but it is really thin.