• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota rear main

Dain Bramage

need help ASAP.

i am doing a clutch on my big brothers toyota (93 pickup, 4x4 sr5, 3.0), and i noticed that his rear main was leaking, so i decided to do that while i was in there. but how does the piece around the seal come out? i got the seal out, but i had pulled the bolts and broken the seal where the plate mounts to the back of the block already. now i need to get it off to clean and re seal it. please reply as quickly as possible, this is his daily driver, and i want to get it done as soon as i can.

yea, thats it. but i cant the the piece that holds the rear main out. i have it loose, but i cant get it off of the back of the engine to clean it and put the new gasket in. i was hoping someone who has done one of these before could enlighten me as to wether or not there is anything sticking off the seal retainer (i think thats what its called) into the crankcase.

did you pull the bolts that come in through the oil pan?
these things weren't really meant to come off unless the pan is off....

yes i did. and thats really not what i wanted to hear. would it be ok for me to jsut spray everything with brakleen and put a big bead of silicone on it?

Define loose. You got it to move a bit, or you're able to jiggle it around? Silicone or whatever is a bad idea, you'll be back in there in short order re-fixing it.

Next time you're dealing with something like that, run a sheetmetal screw into the metal part of the seal and use that to pop it out.

how hard is it to get the pan off while the engine is in the truck?
You have to deal with the front dif...it will not allow you to get the pan off very far. You can try hoisting the engine a bit to give yourself a little more room, but it will be tight.

to pull that pan (and windage tray) you pull the engine or drop the front diff.
That's it.
there is no oil pan gasket (not supposed to be) it's all put together with f.i.p.g.
you can stuff the rear main seal carrier back in with a bunch of f.i.p.g./r.t.v/silicon, whatever you want to call it, it may or may not hold.
likely it'll leak further up the line from being disturbed.

would i need to replace that if i dropped the pan?

at this point i think i am going to spray it all off really good with brakleen, put a **** ton of right stuff silicone, bolt the flywheel, bell housing, and starter on, and run it for a couple hours, see what it does. if that fails, i am taking it to a shop to finish the job, and i guess i will just eat the cost. :mad: