• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Tundra 5.7 ?

easleycrawler

Yota Freak
I'm considering selling my Dodge 2500 Cummins. Love the motor, power and fuel mileage, but not a fan of the truck itself.

I know the reliability of Toyotas, that's pretty much all I've ever had until the Cummins. If I sell my truck, I'm gonna replace it with a tundra. My question, who has one and tows their rig with it? How does it do and what kind of mileage do you get?

I have had a 2012 crewmax, and now a 2016 double cab. In between, I had a 6.7 power stroke 250.
Towing a 9k flat nose enclosed hauler, 75-80 mph, I was real lucky to see 9 mpg, and it will rev up to around 5k rpm on the big hills. Loved the 250, but went back to the yota. It's stupid simple and it works. I would think a flatbed and a 4K rig along with keeping to the speed limit should get you 10-11 mpg

I tow with my 07 5.7 tundra and I love it. Daily driving i get 17ish mpg's driving 75-80, I can get 19 if i drive 65 but thats hard to do.

Towing my old buggy was around 7500lbs with trailer and gear I would get 10mpg if I kept it around 70, with the new buggy I got 11mpg to GMP and back this weekend.

Truck has 165k on it now and all I've had to do is brakes, tires, oil changes and a set of plugs at 100k as recommended.

I highly recommend a tundra... the newer ones can reduce power when its not loaded and get a lot better mileage for daily driving... the truck is a ton of fun to drive too!

clemsonjeep said:
Well didn't see this coming...

mudpup...what kind of mileage are you getting in town...everyday type driving?
8a700dace277f625873d772cd9281a37.jpg

Pretty much sits there. Mostly around town

forgot to mention that the rear springs are a bit soft for towing so you're gonna want a load dist hitch, airbags or something to help with the squat... I use a load hitch and airbags and very happy with that setup.. with the airbags you can just deflate them and have your factory ride for DD duty...

I have a 2009 tundra with 5.7 and have had no problems towing my jeep. I get around 10 to 11 miles a gallon depends on how hard I run the truck.

Re:

I've got a '12 and lifted 3 inches and went from 18 to 20 inch wheels. I get 14 normal driving and 10 towing my rig. I do a lot of short driving. Unless I'm going to/from work.

Went out west loaded down with enough stuff for two people a 2 week hunting trip and got 14 on that trip.

There is no overdrive button, just a tow mode. I just use it and towing I've never seen my transmission temp hand move from normal.

The 14 and up models have like 35ish gallon tank versus the 23ish tank on the 13 and under year models.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

my truck is stock..... came with 20's on it. I had a leveling kit and 33's on it at one time and it looked sweet but the fuel mileage really fell off and i hated the squat being made worse by the leveling kit.

I'd like to have a 2014 or up, the new body style looks good, but damn they proud of them bastards. Don't won't one with a **** ton of miles. I'll have to finance some, cause I owe a little bit on the Cummins. I'll have to do alot of shopping.

All stock, resale is really strong, might as well buy new. The 16's have the integrated brake controller.

My wife had a 07 when we got married and we tow with it a little. It's got a 2" lift and 305-xx-20's, measure out to a 33" tire.

In town and normal driving it averages 13-17mpg. Towing any type of weight it gets 7-10mpg. It's a strong, good driving truck but mileage sucks. It also seems to downshift a lot even in tow mode. I think that's one reason it gets such poor mileage. Even slight grades or hills it drops down and revs high.