• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota wiring harness?

GONOVRIT

I have an '87 22RET I'm going to be putting in my tube chassis. The engine is still in the truck and running. Does anyone know of a writeup on how to take out the unnecessary stuff or know of anyone that will do it for a fee? Sure wish this was as easy as pulling it and sending it off. Thanks, Josh

Re: Re: Toyota wiring harness?

It's pretty easy to eliminate what you don't need, just don't cut anything that goes to the motor, fuel pump, or gauges.

I've built several stand alone EFI harnesses for toyotas. There's a LOT of wiring that needs to be seperated out of the body harness to make it clean like it should be. I've been removing everything but what is needed to run the engine and gauges, then wiring it all back up into a clean simplified harness that only needs 4 connections to run it in any vehicle. You really need the engine in the buggy and then build the dash harness to fit the buggy to make it look clean. Toyota uses a lot of excess wiring inside the cab that needs to be eliminated. Otherwise you will have a huge bundle to try to hide somewhere on the chassis.

I've done 22re's, 3RZ's, and a landcruiser 3FE. All of them only need the following 4 connections on the host vehicle to run: 12V constant, Ignition on, Start signal, and Ground.

There is not a lot of information on this out there and toyota changed schematics every couple of years, so wire colors and pin locations vary greatly. The basic functions are the same on about all years, once you figure out what you need to run it. The neccesary circuits for a 22RE are the EFI main relay, circuit opening relay, and one 15A EFI fuse . In a buggy this is all you need, since you won't have any gauges. Study these on a diagram and figure them out. The rest is cake.

Be sure to solder all connections. thumb.gif

TBItoy said:
It's a good idea to leave your "Check Engine Light" and dianogstic port.

True.

The disagnostic port is under the hood and part of the engine harness itself. You shouldn't need to do anything to the engine side of the harness. The "dash" harness is the one that will need to be disected.

As for the check engine light, keep in mind that it is a ground signal from the ECU. So if you use a bulb, the CEL wire from the ECU will need to go to the negative side of the bulb and you will have to get the positive side of the bulb from a ignition on source. Toyota typically powers most circuits when you turn on the ignition and uses ground to activate them.

Thanks for the info. I do not do wiring. Being colorblind I have never gave it the first thought ;D and don't know much about it in the first place. I'll have a friend doing a great portion of this for me. I'm pretty sure I can get the wiring diagram off 22ret-trucks.com

GONOVRIT said:
Thanks for the info. I do not do wiring. Being colorblind I have never gave it the first thought ;D and don't know much about it in the first place. I'll have a friend doing a great portion of this for me. I'm pretty sure I can get the wiring diagram off 22ret-trucks.com

One warning of wiring diagrams, they are not ALWAYS accurate, there are lots of variations and you may find portions of the diagram that do not say the correct color wire, correct routing of wires, etc.

Here is a pic of my ford wiring cut down, I cut the harness off at the firewall and got a pinout of the ECM, whittled it down from there.

2011-12-04192609.jpg

gotta tidy it up and shorten/loom some wires. It's down to the usual: 12v constant, (2)12v" IGN on", 12v "start", ground, CEL, and fuel pump relay wiring.

Here is part of what I cut out. I kept probably 40' of different size loom off the harness, plus a bunch of the long runs of wire, very handy for other jobs, because buying stuff like wire and loom pisses me off.

2011-12-04192548.jpg

Davesoffroad done my brothers. $250 and 6 month wait. I think there a lil lazy

GONOVRIT said:
Wow, you could build a buggy from scratch in that time laughing1 Is that the daves offroad in PA?
Cali. And we did complete the buggy before it got here. :****:

Wow, you could build a buggy from scratch in that time Is that the daves offroad in PA?

Wasn't us, we have never taken 6 months to do any one project.....unless you count responding to this thread. ;D Could have been Davez Offroad Performance out in CA.

I dont wanna hijack anyones thread but I am thinking of swapping my holley out on the efi to my 22r. Being my cab truck was carb factory would I need to pull the entire harness out of the cab or is it possible to splice into my old harness ( just for the key switch stuff) I have a custom autometer gauge setup.

al1tonyota said:
Slee Offroad in Colorado can do the harnesses clean work and some good folks! They did a sc3.4 and a 2.7 for me!
clay gave me his number and they said they wouldnt do it anymore. may have just got him on a bad day? thumb.gif

84turbotoy said:
I dont wanna hijack anyones thread but I am thinking of swapping my holley out on the efi to my 22r. Being my cab truck was carb factory would I need to pull the entire harness out of the cab or is it possible to splice into my old harness ( just for the key switch stuff) I have a custom autometer gauge setup.

no reason to pull the dash harness (unless you had a doner rig and wanted to do a complete interior swap or something)

You can cut down the EFI harness to the standard 3 wire hook up (12v constant, 12v run, 12v crank) plus ground. And you can get all your switched power wires from existing wiring on the 22R.