• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tracking devices for Vehicles/Rigs.

1993toy

In the last few months I've seen several post on Facebook about stolen tow rigs/rigs and trailers etc. I hate to be paranoid, but I also hate the thought of someone stealing my rig and getting away with it.

Does anyone use/know of a 12v powered onboard tracking device?

Some car alarms come with this feature, along with autostart. It will ping if it leaves a certain radius or if it is activated. Monthly subscription fees do apply.

I know caterpillar equipment including skid steers have it. Epecially on the rental side. I can see what they use

Tracking devices for Vehicles/Rigs.

EDIT: Ok I was just a sarcastic jerk for a second. Yes look into it. It's well worth the investment. I have always wondered why I haven't heard of anyone else doing it

Yes they make them, the buy here- pay here car lots use them everyday, they hide it under the dash and can track the car anywhere.

I work at a car dealership and I put a tracking device on every use car that leaves our lot . They work off of the cars 12 volt system and the new ones I'm using have a backup battery build into them . Cost around a $100 bucks a car. The company is called gold star

mdo817 said:

Thanks. I did search and had similar findings. I'm looking for real world experience, I don't want to waste my $$ on some piece that quits working.

I'm sure most companies want a monthly fee. It would be nice to have one that charges a little more up front and then if you ever need it you pay an additional fee in lieu of monthly charges. Probably a pipe dream.

Re: Tracking devices for Vehicles/Rigs.

LightBnDr said:
EDIT: Ok I was just a sarcastic jerk for a second. Yes look into it. It's well worth the investment. I have always wondered why I haven't heard of anyone else doing it

I'm curious to what ya said.....feel free to repeat.

My buggy is kept in the garage. Although its not running and drivable yet, I have more money in it then my other 3 vehicles combined. Although its not traceable I will have evidence/footage to help aid the situation. I have cameras in the garage, all around the house and an overhead garage door sensor tied into my security system. Should somebody **** with my home and or buggy, I will know immediately. Oh, by the way my company is www.systematicsecurity.net :flipoff1:

Hide an old iPhone somewhere with a network connection ? They have a "find if lost" function that pin points the location of the phone on your computer if you activate it.

Bebop said:
Hide an old iPhone somewhere with a network connection ? They have a "find if lost" function that pin points the location of the phone on your computer if you activate it.
. Now how you going to keep a old phone charged up all the time while it's hide?

Not a bad idea Have it supplied all the time with some kind of voltage and it might work

zukimaster said:
. Now how you going to keep a old phone charged up all the time while it's hide?
With a charge cord... Hard wired or plugged into a hidden receptical

1993toy said:
I'm curious to what ya said.....feel free to repeat.
Well, no harm intended really. I have a seriously bad habit of being a smart ass and it definitely hasn't gained me any friends.

Basically I said that there are a TON of products out there. To discuss what any of us may use online with people we don't know I think is a poor idea.

All I can say is I don't and wouldn't use any product that uses a 12v power source or a 3rd party monitoring company.

I'm curious to what other options there are. Most everything I've seen is 12v, with some type of monitoring.