• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tracking devices for Vehicles/Rigs.

Re: Tracking devices for Vehicles/Rigs.

LightBnDr said:
I have a seriously bad habit of being a smart ass and it definitely hasn't gained me any friends.

What?!!??? You??!!??? Nah, not at all :rolf: ;D
It has actually gained you a couple of friends...just have to find the people that can relate. LOL

Our vans here at work have a satellite tracker thing on em or well they did but I've unhooked mine. It powers though the obd11 port and tells how fast your going were your at and if the seatbelt is on as well as diagnostics. And it also has a obd11 output that goes back were the factory one was. My trans went out on my van and when I took it to Chevrolet the guy with the scan tool was on the wrong obd11 and was like I don't know but my tool don't work on this van. So I told him he's on the wrong port which would have been a good port if I had it hooked back up. Anyhow my company shut down the trackers a few years back.

There were a few pirate threads on this years ago.
How long could you expect a battery to last on one that wasn't 12v supplied? How good of a barn can they be in where they can't be tracked? Meaning do they need a view of the sky to be seen by the satellites?
With no research, I would think something with a battery that lasts a long ass time and a trickle charge input to keep it going would be ideal. They pull the battery you still find it for the next couple weeks. Still curious about the hidden inside thing

cj7-377 said:
I work at a car dealership and I put a tracking device on every use car that leaves our lot . They work off of the cars 12 volt system and the new ones I'm using have a backup battery build into them . Cost around a $100 bucks a car. The company is called gold star

not to be a smartass, but I gotta ask.

Is that even legal? do the buyers know their cars are being tracked? Is it a 'buy here pay here' lot where you are loaning cars at 15% APR and expecting them to default so you can repo and resell or what?

y2knole said:
not to be a smartass, but I gotta ask.

Is that even legal? do the buyers know their cars are being tracked? Is it a 'buy here pay here' lot where you are loaning cars at 15% APR and expecting them to default so you can repo and resell or what?

Yes they sign a waiver at the purchase time. Its piece of mind for the dealer when yo ass stops paying..lol

A guy out here at work just told me about a tracking device he has that he puts on his band trailer. You download an app on your phone for it and it will show you where his trailer is at all times. he pulled it up on his phone and it showed it was sitting in his yard. Cool as hell. He said you can stick/hide it on anything that's metal. weather resistant to. He told me the brand and what he paid for it. I`ll ask him again. It wasn`t expensive though.

zukimaster said:
. Now how you going to keep a old phone charged up all the time while it's hide?

gottagofast said:
With a charge cord... Hard wired or plugged into a hidden receptical

^

Yup, I thought that was self explanatory :****:

An old shop I worked at did a lot of work for local buy here/pay here lots. We put GPS tracking devices on their cars all the time. 12 volt hidden up in the dash, where depending on who installed it. Your asses would of never found one I installed. Local car lot owner used to come by and say that he didn't sell cars, he just RENTED THEM at 20% interest. :rolf: :JRich: was riding all over town in his cars. Tracking devise worked I suppose cause I would inspect the same car around every 6 months or so. molaugh

A friend of mine who has a fairly well known Offroad shop in my area had his entire setup stolen. Tow rig with camper and rolling workshop with every spare part you could imagine, two car trailer, and a rig he had been building for years. He pulled in to a hotel at 2am, got up at 7am and everything was gone. Never got any of it back. He now uses a tracker from Spytec.com. It is rechargeable and lasts about 3months, but it does have a monthly fee.