• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trade a Yota for a CJ?

TrikeKid

I've been in the market for something new after driving my '85 X-cab for a couple years. I'd like to have something with more seats and less wheelbase, he wants to have a truck that's cheaper to drive every day than his diesel.

Jeep is a later (I can't remember the exact year off the top of my head) CJ-5, 258-4 speed, Spring under on 34" LTB's, locked. Trans is new, everything works. Body could use a little paint and it'll need something better than a bikini top before winter but it's a solid rig that wheels well. Comes with a Warn M8000. It's a ready drive, ready to wheel rig.

My truck is a high mile '85 extra cab, 33's, the suspension is basically new since 2 years ago (AP stock length 5" fronts, F150 rears with sky swap kit, bilstiens... it handles nicely on the street), 4:88's, detroit rear, 33" KM's. Body on mine is in a little worse shape than the CJ, being that it's got rust in the bed and it's been rolled once and flopped once. Also, my trans dropped 3rd gear, no front drive line etc.... My DD but it's not ready to wheel.

I really don't know Jeeps well enough to put a price on his rig, he wants to sell it for 3000, but I don't know if that's fair or high or a smokin' deal so I'd like to know if this would be a fair trade?

Last edited:
Trade a yota for a cj:eeek: don't get me wrong glad you realized... but who would do such a thing?

TRADE HIM

:haha::haha::haha:

:redneck:

Last edited:
I don't know Toys, so I have no idea what yours is worth. On a CJ (last year of the CJ-5 was '83), the critical item is rust. Frame rust, floorboards, rockers, around the wheel openings. Then components. Jeep used some decent trannies, and some that sucked out loud. Up to '79, Dana 20 (poor low range) but strong enough for 34" tires, '80-'83 Dana 300 (2.69 low range). Gauges work? If it's SOA, are the axles stock? When they get that high, the center of gravity makes 'em tippy, on the stock Narrow Trac axles. High steer? I would have to see it, but I'm thinking that it's probably worth about $2500, if it runs good, has oil pressure.

I don't know Toys, so I have no idea what yours is worth. On a CJ (last year of the CJ-5 was '83), the critical item is rust. Frame rust, floorboards, rockers, around the wheel openings. Then components. Jeep used some decent trannies, and some that sucked out loud. Up to '79, Dana 20 (poor low range) but strong enough for 34" tires, '80-'83 Dana 300 (2.69 low range). Gauges work? If it's SOA, are the axles stock? When they get that high, the center of gravity makes 'em tippy, on the stock Narrow Trac axles. High steer? I would have to see it, but I'm thinking that it's probably worth about $2500, if it runs good, has oil pressure.

He said it is sprung under:awesomework::;

Trade a yota for a cj:eeek: don't get me wrong glad you realized... but who would do such a thing?

TRADE HIM

:haha::haha::haha:

:redneck:

He traded a BEAT IFS Yota to get the CJ, then he realized that he bitches about the cold too much to drive something with no windows/doors... I've been running around with no window for a month or two now since the last flop. I was wrong about the SPOA, it's spring under. If I fixed my trucks issues (rear main leak, swapped the trans, new door, front driveline) I'd want 3500 for it, because of what I have into it and the attatchment of it being my first car.

Fix your truck you lazyass!!:eeek: you have never even wheeled it.:rolleyes:

You dont want that POS. Come over and look at the CJ5 I have ripped down right now. Its a nice virgin jeep and its frame is still all cracked to hell. Its a cramped POS.

If you think having no front driveshaft is bad, wait till you have a dana 30!!:flipoff:

He traded a BEAT IFS Yota to get the CJ, then he realized that he bitches about the cold too much to drive something with no windows/doors... I've been running around with no window for a month or two now since the last flop. I was wrong about the SPOA, it's spring under. If I fixed my trucks issues (rear main leak, swapped the trans, new door, front driveline) I'd want 3500 for it, because of what I have into it and the attatchment of it being my first car.

He bitches about the cold....:haha:

I understand the attatchment thing....Ok I dont

Swt deal, DO IT:awesomework:

I'm a Jeep guy, so I'm biased, but I would do it. Do you have $700 for a top, though? Since you're thinking $3500, maybe a little cash to sweeten it up? Have you driven it? I have a CJ-5, and I've driven it from Vancouver, WA to Elma, it's fine for me. I'm 6', 230, yeah it's tight, and with 3" of lift and 33's, I have ripped my back pocket getting out. The fiance mutters about needing some sliders with steps, her 12 year old climbs in like it's a jungle gym.

I think to DD something like a CJ-5, you have to love it. I would do it, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

I've been in the market for something new after driving my '85 X-cab for a couple years. I'd like to have something with more seats and less wheelbase...

Wait a minute. The back seat in a -5 is almost useless, except for people under 5' 5". Who would you put back there?

Have you sat in the rig yet also? Leg room isn't a bonus on those either,lol....

I never noticed a problem:D

I traded my1980 CJ-5 and got a 1983 Toyota. Not one of my better trades personally, but I like the heeps. And a bobtail fits my wheeling style the best, kind of why the Sami does so well for me. If it's straight, relatively rust free, and the carb isn't completely shot, then 3K is a good buy for it.

But then remember you're still in a 26+ year old rig, so it ain't gonna be perfect, and you'll still tinker just as much as you would with your truck.