• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"trading off" your rig for a sxs

dodgecrawler2011

Been debating it for awhile now. My truck just sits in the garage. My wheeling buddies have slowly been getting rid of theirs. I have about 20 other buddies into the sxs scene now. Anybody regret selling their rigs to get into sxs and regret it

Yep. I thought I could live with just a rzr. Sold my one ton TJ, my enclosed trailer and my tow pig. Bought a mid size truck, a rzr and a small trailer. It was not a smart move and I quickly realized that while the rzr is an absolute blast, it is not a crawler. I have since moved back into a man truck and bought another jeep. Still looking for the right trailer. The biggest issue is that I am stuck with the rzr or I have to take a stupid loss on it. I figure since I am gonna lose a ton of doll hairs on it regardless, I'll keep it and keep riding it. But it's no replacement for a crawler. Just know that going in. Maybe try to log some miles in one with a buddy before you jump in with both feet. I wish I had.

How much are you looking at spending on a sxs (don't answer, just tossing the concept out there)? I saw what you had your rig priced at w/o the tires and wheels earlier today. Definitely seems like a good buy for someone, but you're comparing something that is going to cost multiple times that amount.

It is going to be personal no matter who gives you an opinion. I rather see/wheel 1 ton bodied rigs or buggies. I've never liked sxs.

It's always a big deal when a sxs makes it up the waterfall at moonlight, yet my old rig would idle up that like it wasn't even there. They are loosely thrown into the same category as legitimate trail rigs but they really serve 2 different purposes. I will honestly say I'm sure it is fun to haul balls on some flat ground and hit some jumps, but if someone is looking to hill kill or crawl some nasty big boulders....hell no I'm not going to get a sxs.

I would assume you could save money and tinker with yours if you were wanting a change (links or whatever), or sell yours and build something new all together. Just throwing that out there if it staying status quo was getting to you.

Just an observation, most sxs can be financed and "should" be easier to resell than a 25 year old dented up Jeep (for example), at least that's the way the bank looks at it. I had a hard enough time selling a decent built, cheap rig that wasn't worth rzr trade value. I would have traded for one because I think it would be easier to sell. Maybe somebody has actually been through this and can shed some light on it.

I've had crawler rigs for 20 yrs or so, and now have a sxs too. Mostly got it so I could take the wife with some of our friends that have one. She can't get into the buggy very easy, but don't mind me going whenever. But IF one had to go it would be the sxs for sure.

I plan to go with the new pioneer 1000-5. I see it getting used dam near every weekend either round the house or going places with my buddies compared to twice a year if that. Dam near all of them have one now compared to maybe one or two that have crawlers. Wife hates going out in the truck and wants me to get a sxs. Also a lot easier to deal with just throw on a trailer and go. Dont get my wrong im not totally giving up the rig. Id like to actually build a rig overtime and still have something to do in the mean time. Just looking to sell mine to free up some room and a little cash.

pholmann said:
I couldn't do it but if your not going anymore with your rig why the hell not.

This.

And the Pioneer 1000-5 is badass, ultimate sxs to me if you ain't looking for super hill jumping mountain climbing rzr performance (for a lot less money too).

I sold out of crawling earlier this year. While I miss it, I mainly just miss getting out and cruising around with everybody and spending a day in the woods, not so much tackling the hardest obstacle, risking breaking and tearing **** up, etc. I don't regret selling out as of now, it was a smart move for me and my circumstances at this point. Will I have another crawler? Yes, definitely.....one day far down the road.

I am looking at a Yamaha Viking that will ultimately have a small lift and probably 30" Intimidators on it, and I believe I'll be pretty damn content with that for quite a while.

AND....like you mentioned, I have plenty backroads and such I can ride a sxs on around my house, whereas my old trail rig was slow and not very road worthy, so there's one benefit chalked down for the sxs.

I had a decent cab crawler a couple years ago. It had alot of potential that I never used. I ended up trading it for a sxs and buying a wrecked tj to start building. The tj is nowhere near a hardcore machine but is capable and dual purpose. After have the crawler sit and only get used 2-3 times a year I decided a dual purpose was more beneficial for me. I can take the kids to school, run to the store, load it on trailer and take riding. I do have to be more picky with my lines but if I break it, then it can sit til I fix it, just like the crawler did. If I had used the crawler more and to its potential it would still be here, but no use letting it waste when someone else could get the use of it that I was wasting. Sxs has there pros and cons but they cant take the place of a decently build rig in "big" rocks. My likings and yours are different but as stated before, catch a ride with a buddy in a sxs then that will answer alot of your questions.

If youre looking at a combination sport utility sxs. Polaris is about to release the general... Rzr suspension, with a bed, and a 1000 cc engine...

I have had 5 built rigs but found that it was getting harder and harder to get a weekend free to go and play. Sold the last TJ, bought an 800S 2.5 years ago. Loved it. Since then the wife and kid has became interested and I bought a 900XP4 for the family and a toy hauler camper. I have found that I am now in the woods a ton more than I was before.

Picked up an old YJ recently to take care of my wrenching desire but I don't miss full size a bit.

I went the other way. Went from SxS to Crawlers. Best thing I have ever done. We were carrying extra axles an breaking them as quick as we could put them in. I will never go back to SxS. They are just not built for the type of riding we did. My Yes I have a lot more money in my crawler, but as far as maintenance there is no comparison. Wheels bearings, axles, etc. My 02