• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trail from Greenwater to E'Berg

You can use Forest Service System Trails and get from Greenwater to Eberg with only a few miles of road. Roads have chopped up the trail systems.

Back in the days of Pioneers the Naches Pass Trail (indian footpath) was formed to get to Puget Sound. Some what where the Kaner is was a Pioneer Trail to avoid the 60+ river crossings that the Naches had. Other folks came in thru the Rock creek, Gold Creek, Spring creek, Pine creek, and Milk creek drainages also to avoid the Naches River.

The Stagecoach road (Wenas to Eburg) was an indian foot path that connected Yakima to Wenatchee, that trail really went from the Columbian River to Canada.

Then the Manastash Ridge trail came to be. When the pioneers stopped coming into the Manastash area the trails were used for "stock driveways" (cattle and sheep) . If you look at them from that prospective most trails on the ridge lead to Eburg where the stockyards were.

Lots of history in these hills long before motorized. Numerous books out there about it. One is named "Snoqualmie Pass Indain Footpath to Superhighway". Written by a lady from Eburg. Another is "Beyond the Bend" it's about the Nile area and Naches pass (available at the Eagle Rock Store). Written by a lady from Nile.

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty cool info you've given. I knew a little of it, but not like that.
It's more correct to say, there are trails all the way from Greenwater to Ellensburg. You could stay in the mountains for weeks chasing after all of them.
I've always heard of one from Leavensworth to Glendale, only crossing a few roads along the way. But it all gets broken up for one reason or another.
It would've been cool to have a trail jeep in the 1800's

I have been over and back on the Colockum Pass from Ellensburg to Wenatchee several times but not recently. I think that is part of the Stagecoach Road.

I have been over and back on the Colockum Pass from Ellensburg to Wenatchee several times but not recently. I think that is part of the Stagecoach Road.

Correct.

I've got a friend that grew up on Stagecoach. He lived in the last house before the pass on the Wenas side. He was a boy back in the late 30's. He went to work cruising timber and counted most every tree in the Manastash. As his career advanced he surveyed/laid out the South Fork Manastash Road.

He claims "Mel's Hole" does not exist. I don't believe him.

The only problem with these legend trails are now red dot. Right? Clockum pass is a gravel road most of the way?
I need to study my maps. I've just recently ventured the Kittitas area.

Wow, that's pretty cool info you've given. I knew a little of it, but not like that.
It's more correct to say, there are trails all the way from Greenwater to Ellensburg. You could stay in the mountains for weeks chasing after all of them.
I've always heard of one from Leavensworth to Glendale, only crossing a few roads along the way. But it all gets broken up for one reason or another.
It would've been cool to have a trail jeep in the 1800's

Naches Pass trail ended at Fort Steilacoom after passing thru Enumclaw, Buckley, Bonnie Lake, Sumner, and such. You can find markers all thru where it was alongside the highways. One such marker marks the site where the Indains attacked killing a number of settlers.

Ther is lots of really interesting stuff concerning the settlers and then the miners. You can spend days and weeks exploring it in trail rigs. It gives new meaning to trail running when you are looking for long lost treasure.

The only problem with these legend trails are now red dot. Right? Clockum pass is a gravel road most of the way?

"Green Dot" state DNR or WDFW (Fish and Wildlife) roads.

Well that's the kind of jeeping I want to do. I'm trying to document as much as the trail system as possible on video. But the red dots are the short cuts? or abandon logging roads? Those are the challenges right?

Well that's the kind of jeeping I want to do. I'm trying to document as much as the trail system as possible on video. But the red dots are the short cuts? or abandon logging roads? Those are the challenges right?

There is a system of roads on state land known as the "Green Dot" road system. There roads are only open during certain times of the year to help displace vehicle pressure on game animals. A Green Dot road is open to any motorized vehicle whether licensed or not ( no license must have ORV tag). Remember your 'Discover Pass". You may not travel off a Green Dot road unless the route is marked with a Green Dot. When in a Green Dot sysyem you may only travel Green Dot Roads (all other trail and roads are closed).

Never heard of a Red Dot system.

I wouldn't say Colockum is a gravel road most of the way. The last state highway map I looked at had something about it being a primitive road and not advised for passenger vehicles. It has some rough sections. You can do it in a 2wd but I never did.