• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trail gear 4.7

Cole1

Does anyone here run the trail gear 4.7 gear reduction on a DD? What about a twin sticked DD? Both questions are aimed towards just a single case but dual case input is all good.

my roomate has 4.7's in a single case on his DD. what kind of info are you looking for?

He wants duals, the 4.7's arent practical in most instances and he wants the option of a 2.28 or whatever the hell the stock gears are.

well i want to make it a DD that has some offroad potential. Mainly DD so i dont want to spend the coin for duals and every one i know with them has them on a trail only rig with duals.

What are the dissadvantages of having the lower gearing on a street truck? What are the advantages(if any for DD)

ill let other people answer those questions. he wants duals because he has the drivetrain space for them with the E cab longbox. i have driven his truck some.

The reduction gears seam completely transparent on the street. Only time ya notice them is when your goin reeealy slow :D

Thats what i was thinking but someone suggested it to me so i was looking for some opionion. Its just a standard cab long bed 81' What do you mean by having the space? Could you elaberate.

Duals wil lengthen your drivetrain length and shorten your rear driveline. His wheelbase is like 128" so he has the room. not sure what your rear driveline length is right now and if you have the room to expand.

I would take my dual cases over a single case with 4.7's any day.... but what I really want are my dual cases w/ 4.7's in the back case!

how will the duals work with the stock axles if i go wheeling? I heard alot of people say they break the axles, Is that true or does it depend on alot of other factors? Sorry for the newb question.

how will the duals work with the stock axles if i go wheeling? I heard alot of people say they break the axles, Is that true or does it depend on alot of other factors? Sorry for the newb question.

depends on tire size, how big your right foot is, whats in your front axle, and how you wheel.

Any multiplation of the gearing will aid in breaking things...

if you do duals w/ 4.7's in the rear, make sure to go 23 spline between the cases! 21 splines input between the cases will break! we are 2 sets into that, and are upgrading to 23 spline.

If you go 4.7 in the single case, you will love it. If you go duals, you will love it. Either way you go will be a good deal. You have the room to go for duals with the longbed truck. If im not mistaken you could use a shortbed rear driveshaft for your longbed truck with duals... Duals will help out your front d-shaft angles as well. If you had to redo your front D-shaft anyways, I would recomend duals if you could afford it. 4.7 would be cheaper if you do it yourself, Duals would give you more gear choices as Crash mentioned. You might see 1-2mpg loss with duals cause of the gears in the additional range box. 21 spline will do you fine if your DD/weekend wheeler. If your wheeling hard then do 23 spline all throughout!

As far as breakage goes, it all comes down to driver/tire size/obstacle....

Would say use duals if you have the time and money, but they are a lot more work, floor board mods, speedo cable, drive lines, finding another case for parts.
Or do the 4.7 which can always be put in your rear case, should you do duals later.
If I didnt find such a good deal on my duals I would have tried a 4.7 first.
Actually I had bought a 4.7 21sp to do my case, but before I got it installed I found a set of duals with 23sp rear input. Trail gear let me trade the 21sp input from the 4.7s for a 23sp. So the 4.7s went in the rear.

I started with single 4.7. Worked great for obsticles but sucked between obsticles and generally anytime 4hi was to steep of gearing and 4low was just way to slow. I now have duals on my 4rnr and love them. I'm a short wheel base so had to rotate the axle pinion. If I would have gone dual 2.28's first I'd have probably stayed with the set up.

If you have a problem with breaking TG's 21 spline then go with Marlin. Never had a problem and have seen them pushed by SBC that only had problems when hammering it hard with a SBC.