• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail gear Hydro steering

pos97TJ

Is anyone runnig trail gears Hydraulic steering? I am planning on buying a double ended ram setup for my front end and wanted some pros and cons on their kit before buying it. Usually you get what you pay for so I would lean toward PSC or a Howe kit but thier kit peaked my interest I guess.:corn:

I have one of there pumps with a double end psc ram and a eaton steering valve, works so far. way more volume than the toy pump.

Yeah, I buy american when it makes sense to, but on my imported Toyota, Trail Gear parts have worked well and I have no complaints so far. I run their ram assist kit (single ended ram, pump, box) but havent had it long enough to give a fair opinion. If its anything like the rest of their parts that I run, Im sure I will be satisfied.

The other thing to this whole buy american idea is, its tough to tell anymore what is made here and what isnt as so much stuff gets re-boxed and re-branded. Hell, even Marlin Crawler springs which they used to claim was "US Made" is made from steel that comes from "across the pond". Just cause they are arc'ed in the US dont make them any better in quality.

I buy american whenever possible but boosted is right, there are so many companies that import their products, rebox them and sell them as an american product much like most of the chromoly shafts and such. If the quality of the product is the same and the price is significantly cheaper than it is hard not to lean that way because you may very well be cutting out the middleman. Thats why I am wondering if the quality was there.

Performance Offroad Steering Systems:awesomework:

Best hydro steering there is, All made in ALABAMA BY AMERICANS. Sooner or later ya'll will understand. I love my pos steering. Support american business's or die bitches.

I tried to call POS steering but couldnt get an answer and their site is under construction. Do you have a ballpark figure on what thier stuff costs?

I tried to call POS steering but couldnt get an answer and their site is under construction. Do you have a ballpark figure on what thier stuff costs?

Yes i do actually. Sean, The sole owner is having hard times and is having to broaden his income so he isnt always available. A complete kit minus mini tie rods and hoses is 1698.00 as of last week. Thats a ram with tube clamps, clevis ends, all heims, misalignment spacers for the heims, orbital and orbital to steering shaft adaptor and pump. If you do get ahold of him it wont be a short conversation. No matter how hard you try.

Yes i do actually. Sean, The sole owner is having hard times and is having to broaden his income so he isnt always available. A complete kit minus mini tie rods and hoses is 1698.00 as of last week. Thats a ram with tube clamps, clevis ends, all heims, misalignment spacers for the heims, orbital and orbital to steering shaft adaptor and pump. If you do get ahold of him it wont be a short conversation. No matter how hard you try.

why is it better to pay more and buy from some one you cant get ahold of or doesnt have a web sight..............am I missing something here? why not go with psc or howe both build good products.

Lance at PSC has treated me very well.

Trail Gear products are hit or miss in my book. Some are good and do what you need, some may work for some people and not others, and some you really do need that lifetime warranty for.

I'm not willing to Guinea pig their hydro stuff. If they gave it to me free or very severally discounted I might try it out.

I don't know anyone running there new rams or orbitals. I have ran the toyota steering pump on my ftoy, it worked made a lot of pressure and ran my 2" hydroassist no problems. It'd did start to weep at the shaft seals, near the end of the season right before I sold it. But I also run it on it on its side while all the fluid leaked out.

Last edited:
why is it better to pay more and buy from some one you cant get ahold of or doesnt have a web sight..............am I missing something here? why not go with psc or howe both build good products.

Because when i bought my system(5+ years ago) pos was the only place making worthy systems, I get ahold of him just fine and he does have a website. Its really a joke though, Because all of his sales are word of mouth. A howe system with similar parts is over 2 g's, And i wont ever use or recommend psc to anyone.

We all have our favorites and whatnot, What does it really matter so long as we wheel and not break **** in the process...

psc makes great systems! PSC systems on rigs with 40" tires on toy,D44,D60 axles works well for most. IMO a heavier rig especially running big tires should stay away from PSC. I have seen quite a few of their P-pumps burn down. I heard through the grapevine PSC's orbital valves are now from China. If you got one from them recently take a close look, I'm curious whether this is true?
Those TR orbitals sure look they were made in an alley next to a fireworks factory in Beijing!:haha: However when it comes to something like a transfer crossmember, the TR stuff is fine. I would never recommend TR drive flanges. Yotaman422 has broken 5 or 6 of the hardened dowel pins off. Thats bullshit, never seen that with bobby's! TR dirty 30's are not advertised with any information about what the inner basket of the birfield is made out of? Thats because its probably not 300m like bobby's so buy bobby's :awesomework:

I dont want to be the Guinea pig for TG's hydro kit either so I think I will save some more money and go with a howe or maybe a POS kit. I was thinking of goin PSC also and have heard that thier customer service is great but I dont want to buy something that is prone to failure. I wondder if adding an extra bigg cooler to the line would help the pump failure from happening.

I dont want to be the Guinea pig for TG's hydro kit either so I think I will save some more money and go with a howe or maybe a POS kit. I was thinking of goin PSC also and have heard that thier customer service is great but I dont want to buy something that is prone to failure. I wondder if adding an extra bigg cooler to the line would help the pump failure from happening.
I run PSC stuff with 44" tires and have yet to have any problems....and their C/S is topnotch....only thing I would do different is go with a 3" x 9" ram on the rear instead of the 2.5" x 8"