• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trailer wiring and winch

Toyotanut

When adding a winch to a trailer do I just reattach the blue wire off of the break away battery to the 12v battery that I would use to run the winch? Also out of curiosity does the blue battery supply a "trickle" charge to the trailer battery when it's plugged in to the tow rig?

Depends on how the trailer is wired, the blue wire is trailer brakes(99.9% of the time) and you should never tie into that line. the trailer should have a batt. on it I would tie into that and there should be a red wire coming from the tow rig to the trailer that charges the trailer batt. What kind of tow rig?

Last edited:
Depends on how the trailer is wired, the blue wire is trailer brakes(99.9% of the time) and you should never tie into that line. the trailer should have a batt. on it I would tie into that and there should be a red wire coming from the tow rig to the trailer that charges the trailer batt. What kind of tow rig?

sorry wrong wire. The wire currently from the battery to the breakaway still gets hooked back to the new battery and the feed wire from the plug gets hooked to the new battery. Does the feed wire from the plug "trickle" charge the battery when hooked to the tow rig?

yes there should be a charge line from the tow rig while running( if there is a fuse in place on the tow rig!) 99.9% rigs have this done easy test, test with tow rig off at trailer batt and test while running tow rig you should see a ~.5% gain in voltage. if not check for fuse or if it has been wired correct. Good luck