• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tranny temps

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
I've got a 97 Dodge with a Cummins and auto, 47RE I think. I was towing my cousins broke down POS jeep through town up and down hills and lots of stopping at lights and such and noticed I got up to around 170. Just curious at what temp I should be worried. Without a trailer it never gets above 125.

I think when it gets into the low to mid 200's is when you should get worried. I wouldn't worry about 170 at all, I would consider that a good temp towing.

Above 150ish the fluid life will begin to shorten, but I wouldn't begin to worry about temps till they are 200 plus on a regular basis...

I should clarify....you most likely won't cook the trans at low to mid 200's; but you will be cooking the fluid and it would be a good idea to change it.

Thanks. Love how quick I get answers on here. Usually when I'm towing it on the highway and stays around 150 or lower but the dumbass broke down and I had to go get him, again.

I would expect temps around 200 considering the main trans cooler is in the radiator and is cooled by 200 degree coolant.

And I'm quite surprised this has not already turned into a "my experience with a hot trannie" thread yet. Considering some of the dirty minds on this board.

Re:

My f250 trans normal operating is 168, and towing is 170 to a little over. This is whatever is behind the 6.4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk