• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

NV3550 or C6 or another T-5, need a new tranny

customcj7

CJ7 with a 351w from a Ski boat currently mated to a T-5 and D300. D44 3/4ton and 14 bolt with 4.88s running 35's on the street, 36's on the trail.

Well after 3rd gear decided to say "**** it, I'm out" last Sunday, I need a new tranny.

I'm in a dilemma though, I can't decide what to choose. I have a 4wd C6 sitting in my shop, never been ran by me, and have no idea of functioning condition.

I'm a fan of manuals for my Jeep as I like to have versatility and control with it. Yeah yeah, I'm old school. I don't wheel as much as I used to and enjoy taking my rig down the backroads and to work from time to time, so versatility is a must.

So here are my choices, a NV3550, a C6, or another T-5.

NV3550:

-Tranny - $1600
-Clutch kit - $200
-Adapters for Tranny and T-case - $528

For $2300+ dollars, and that's if the modifications of adding 2" to the overall length don't require Drive shaft rework.

C6:

Rebuild (I'm not putting it in without checking it out first): $400-$600
Shifter assembly: $250
Torque Converter: $100
Adapter for T-case: $275
Cooling fan and Rad: $160+

For about $1400 if I'm lucky, not including if driveshafts have to be modified.

T5:

Tranny: $1400
New clutch kit: $200

For $1600 no other mods needed.

Here is my thinking. With the C6, I'm going to lose some power, and when the motor was brand new in 1989 it had 240hp. I really don't want to get it down to 175 or less. And with a 1:1 3rd gear, and 4.88's I'll be running 3000 rpm down the highway at 55mph. But it's a solid tranny.

With the NV3550 I keep the power, and a manual, but run the risk of not having the strength of the C6. I don't drive like a maniac, but I do like to run my gears with some speed on the street from time to time. But it's gonna cost me.

With the T-5, I'm back where I started. I can get a tranny in quick, but I'm in the same boat. I'm on my second T-5. My first one lasted 7 years of not so gentle driving. The second one came from a bud's garage where we have no idea of it's past. But we all know it's weak.

Feel free to make fun of a simple dilemma, provide some feedback, say "Ha HA", anything .

Well, the way I look at it is if you've got $ like pholmann, tony bolton and chasman I'd go ahead and convert to the NV3550.....but if you're a broke ass like me then I'd do the C6 conversion. Another option would be to see if you could get a little better built T5 so that you didn't have to do any modifications. Hope this helps. :dblthumb:

I run a c6 with a full manual reverse pattern valve body behind a stock 5.0. I love it. It has a engine brake in low gear also. It really is nice.

Another option is the NP435 just get the bell housing also but if not that I would do the C6

Yes, T5 like a Mustang except Non-World Class and shorter tailshaft. Output shaft is too long on the Mustangs, would have to pull apart and replace.

I hadn't thought of an NV4500, but seeing as they are almost $2000 and it would cost almot $1000 in adapters, that one is out.

The problem with a C6 or NP435 is 3rd gear I'd be running high RPMs just doing 55mph down the highway. Unless I can get a better ratio from a custom rebuild.

TN-CTD said:
or just go nv 4500 and just rock a beast trans that can't take all the motor you will ever throw at it! do it haugy

Maybe you missed the part where I said it would cost $3000 just for a tranny and adapters. That doesn't include a new crossmember for that 200lb tranny (T5s are 95lbs). Possibly needing to rework my driveshafts, new clutch kit, new hydraulic actuator for the clutch since mine would be useless, and the list goes on.

jpony645 said:

Nice find on the Chevy, that's what I need for an easier D300 conversion.

grcthird said:
Why not just fix the trans that's in it now and build it stronger?

Because there is not much you can do to really make it stronger. I can try to make it like the SVO T5 but that would be very complicated and tricky.

you said your first T5 lasted 7 years and the second one was basically a junk yard unit. This answers the question for me.
I would put a new T5 in and roll. least expensive option and you keep your current gear set up, which you seem happy with.
7 YEARS of wheeling and trail riding on a trans. is a WIN in my book.

Yeah, that's where I'm leaning.

Although, even most of wheeling crew still think I drive like Grandma on a Sunday afternoon, I'm harder on it now than I first was. So hopefully I'd get 5 years. LOL

Long as Grandma makes it to the top of a climb, it don't matter how she got there. :****: Let your crew rock bounce and destroy their stuff, just keep riding and climbing.