• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trans stuck in gear

reedracing87

powered by ford! what else is there?
Got a 06 f150 4x4 5.4 auto ..my dad got stuck earlier today & said the 4wheel drive worked but it got stuck in drive the shifter moves but its still in drive he called a tow truck by the time it got there it finally started working.. on his way home tonight the 4wheel wouldn't kick in & it stuck in drive again..the shifter moves up & down but its still in drive I'm lost on these newer trucks so any advice or things I should try????

Re:

Look at trans connection by sliding under from drivers side. You won't even need a jack. (Don't have the truck running and put the parking brake on!) The connector is on the drivers side of the tranny. Mine was off, I pushed it on (it may help for someone to move the shifter back and forth to get to the correct length to connect it. There is no removable clip, it just presses on.

Check that first. Guy came into oreilly the other day with the same problem and a Google search came up with this.
And of course 4wd wont engage if the trans isn't in neutral. If its a switch type it works off of vacuum.