• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

transfer case questions

sorry, my bad I have to many numbers in my head to keep up with. It is a 23 spline input sitting here collecting dust.

Kelly, I have been reading up on this 231/205 combo a bit on pirate and there is very little info out there, but I have heard there is shifter clearance issues? obviously it works, since you have one. I hate to keep picking your brain, but you know WAY more about it than I do.

Brian

you make it sound easy....but these little things would cause me some issues. less work the better...I am cheap, like Paul. LOL

I'm cheap too. real cheap. that's whay I made my own shifter rod and went with it. get a long ass drill bit same dia as the shift rail, get a spare shift rail ( I think some fag was selling them already twin sticked laughing1 7/16 of grinding laughing1 for cheap) and weld them together when the hole is through the back of the case. not too tough.

that doesnt sound too bad. I guess it would make more sense if I had the case in front of me. how does it effect the twin stick? time to look for some pics. oh yea, I located a ford 205 and can prolly get it cheap, he told me to make him an offer.....100 bux? it will need new seals atleast, not sure bout the bearings.

Brian

it will be getting big yoke right away.....one time shot.
my buddy has a stock main shaft at his house, so I might go ahead and put it in just so I can atleast drive the bitch around and start collecting parts. I will need a pump for it though, the one that was in there is in many pieces. I dont have any trips planned for a while, so I will be buyin up parts.

does your 205 shift from the rear? I have been lookin at cable shifters and i wonder if that would clear the adapter/crawler box for that rear shift rod. I am wondering if Duffy is still making those plates/shafts....

yes duffy is. yes it shifts from the rear, but my twin stick shifters are still in teh same place. one rod it just longer and goes to the back now. if you cable it, most are bringing in the cable from the rear and having a tab stick up off the shifter to stick above the case/have the cable lay on top of the case. wehn you rear shift it, you bring that cable in from the front and lay it on the case, same deal, just backwards.

did you use duffy's adapter as well? In your pics I see a steal adapter that you made up......can you burn one out for a Ford? as long as I can get the new shaft from him I am golden. so for the rear shift, you gotta drill through that back output/bearing housing? if so this is all starting to make a little more sense to me. how close to the 231 is that shifter anyway? is it even possible for "regular" front shift?
this guy here used a klune in front of a Ford 205, it looks like there is sort of a notch right where the shift rod needs to be. possible to notch the 231 out right there and weld it up?
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/466250
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/466249
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/507090

1TONZR2 said:
whats the full weight of your setup?
?So far as I remember, you can get the shifter out the front.

I burned mine because there is no way to do a fig 8 205 to 231 without missing bolts. No one makes one for that reasone. I clocked my 231 straight up so I would only miss 1 bolt, and made a compression type deal from plate to plate to make up the diff.
in your case, you are working with a circle 6 case. Everything in duffy's kit bolts right on. The only custom **** you have to do it take your shift rail, twin stick it and put that **** through the back.
it weighs what a 205 with half a 231 hanging on it does thumb.gif

blacksheep10 said:
it weighs what a 205 with half a 231 hanging on it does thumb.gif
thanks for that tid bit! :flipoff1:

so I guess my next move is to call Duffy..

is there anything I should look for when looking at the 205s? the fords are all 32 spline outputs, 31 spline input?

sounds good man....I know who to call if I have issues. I already talked with Jess at HAD about 1410 yokes. I got the hook up, just gotta move my Toy flanges.. where are you guys buying your other driveshaft components? no way am I going to buy a whole shaft from him.

Brian