• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transfer Cases?? PRO's and CON's (SCS, ATLAS, HERO)

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
So, i have been wondering this.
The other Thread has touched on some of this but i thought it might could go in one place....i have been day dreaming about building a new rig, just the natural thing that happens to wheelers...wishing for more power ect....thinking about one of these behind a TH400.

what are your guys thoughts on the differences between these cases PRO's and CON's

First i wand to say that i have no experience with these cases other than helping install an ATLAS in a friends buggy.

One of the thoughts i had-i do like the idea of the Small SCS case but the only draw back i see is that you can't take it out of 4x4 unless you add the 2wd disconnect kit for an extra $700, but do you really need to front dig, and drive the ability to drive in 2wd? i usually drive mine i 4wd all of the time anyway, i have ARB's front and rear so i just unlock them in some places if necessary.

The Atlas and the SCS are close in price-but IS the SCS a better choice because its stronger, easier to package, have the ability to change the gears if necessary in the future?

Having Toyota stuff i like the idea of Flanges because to me they seem easy.

The Hero definitely has the higher price tag, but does that make it worth the extra cost?

Just wondering what others think about it that have experience with these cases....if you were to build a new rig would you change the case you have to something different, if so why?

I've ran a few Atlas 2 speeds and one Hero 2 speed. The only issue I've had with Atlas is they can be hard to shift if you're not on level ground. Hero is really expensive and massive in size so you have to plan around the size when you build, but it worked flawless and shifted easy.
Personally I wouldn't like a SCS just for the lack of high range. When you go to a park like Harlan or Windrock where you gotta travel miles between trails, the low range would get annoying quick.
My next rig is actually going to have an Offroad Design NP205 with 32 spline outputs and Northwest Fab billet bearing supports. Cheapest option of all of them and Lovett's Hitman buggy has made one last a long time with his driving style.

Yea my buddy that i wheel with has a 205 with the LOMAX kit and it seams bombproof.

There are so many things to think about when planning one of the buggies out.

I guess i didn't really think about not having a higher range in the SCS case, but that is something to think about for that type of trail riding.

Two of my regular riding buddies have HERO cases and they say they are a bitch to shift. That's their only complaint with them. My atlas is a breeze to shift. Maybe its all in the shifter setup. Hard to say.

pholmann said:
Two of my regular riding buddies have HERO cases and they say they are a bitch to shift. That's their only complaint with them. My atlas is a breeze to shift. Maybe its all in the shifter setup. Hard to say.
When I had cable shifters I just left mine in 4 low. It was a nightmare to shift. Now that it has manual hard mount shifters it shifts relatively easy. If I were doing it over again my first choice would be a lomax if you can get one. Hero would be my next choice. The straight drive cases are awesome if you are building a dedicated full retard buggy. If you want to do any trail riding you need high and low.

My atlas can be hard to shift if you don't plan ahead. I try to anticipate when I need to use front dig or change ratios. I switch mostly while still moving. BTW I am using cable shifters. I think with any gear drive case, you have to use your head and anticipate your next move.

Advanced Adapters told me the cases can be easy or harder to shift. Im wanting to say you can tighten up something to make them harder. They said if you loosen the detents (iirc) to make it shift easier the are more prone to knocking the front into 2wd while in low using the gearing to slow you down esp going down hills.

pholmann said:
My atlas can be hard to shift if you don't plan ahead. I try to anticipate when I need to use front dig or change ratios. I switch mostly while still moving. BTW I am using cable shifters. I think with any gear drive case, you have to use your head and anticipate your next move.
Mine you have to be dead still and trans in neutral. My 205 would shift on the fly. Best damn tcase I ever had. The 205 even came with this magical thing called a fill plug

My brother just ordered the NWF Titan Black Box and cable shifters to mount in front of his 205 which will essentially turn it into a true 4 speed case 1:1 , 1.96:1, 2.72:1, 5.33:1.
They claim it to be stronger than an Atlas and no one has broke one yet. Supposed to be a good product.
Its the same setup that is in the Money Pit 2.0 Cab truck with a built 6.0 Blower motor est 540 hp to the wheels and 54'' boggers

zayne2427 said:
My brother just ordered the NWF Titan Black Box and cable shifters to mount in front of his 205 which will essentially turn it into a true 4 speed case 1:1 , 1.96:1, 2.72:1, 5.33:1.
They claim it to be stronger than an Atlas and no one has broke one yet. Supposed to be a good product.
Its the same setup that is in the Money Pit 2.0 Cab truck with a built 6.0 Blower motor est 540 hp to the wheels and 54'' boggers

My Jeep runs a very simular combo but in a 241/205 combo not from NWF. Freakin Love It. To the point of I see no reason to run anything else on a trail rig unless space prevents it.
Pick up a 5.3,4l60,241 or a 6.0 and add the 205--Done!

I was going to say 205 when this started but didn't want to sound like a cheap smartass (which I am both)

I think with a little planning of your gear ratios and transmission you could live with a scs

Well i was thinking about somewhere around 35:1 to 40:1

And the math on and TH400 (2.42) X SCS Case (3.eight) X ring and pinion of 4.10 puts the ratio at 38.63 so round up to 39:1

My buddy's rig is a Th350 (2.52) X NP205 with LOMAX (3.0) X ring and pinion (5.13) =38.82 so round up and it's 39:1. This ratio to me seems to be the right mix of Crawl and Wheel speed (when needed) it can do both well, and when need it has enough wheel speed.

Out of all the riding we have done together this seems like the ratio i would like to target for the type of driving style i have.

If your willing to run a doubler I loved my 203/205 it's just big and heavy. Only problem with a stock 205 you will break it if you are thinking you need an scs etc......

BUG-E J said:
If your willing to run a doubler I loved my 203/205 it's just big and heavy. Only problem with a stock 205 you will break it if you are thinking you need an scs etc......

I love the options my doubler gives. Just big and heavy

BUG-E J said:

I was really just looking at packaging and making it easier to design around. How much would a 203/205 weigh? 180 lbs. or more, and i don't think i want to hang that much weight on the back of a trans, and the added length...having built a buggy around dual Toyota case that does complicate things somewhat. Th400/203-205 combo might be around the same length as Toy 5speed and dual Toy cases, not sure though

As far as the strength I don't think i would break a 205 but like i said i am day dreaming an idea, good strong parts so you don't have issues in the future kinda train of thought.

Bronco72 said:

I love the options my doubler gives. Just big and heavy

Yea that is the one thing i LOVE about the Toyota dual cases. But i don't know that i would miss it after driving my buddy's buggy that has the TH350 np205 and 5.13's. I feel like the automatic makes up for the loss of ranges in the cases.

If that makes sense.

I also enjoy my doubler. Th350 203/205.
But if/when I do it again I'll probably pass on the doubler. Too heavy and long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

There's a pretty significant difference in a "black box" type planetary -205 doubler and the ol 203/205 doubler. In weight, packaging, and gearing options

The "Titan or ORD Magnum boxes are super beef