• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transfer Cases?? PRO's and CON's (SCS, ATLAS, HERO)

Says the guy on the wrong side of the tow strap.

Cool guy: "Hey I can't steer"
Me: "I know, I've seen you race"
:****: molaugh loller.gif

#cantbuytalent
#creditcardcowboy
#blamethebuilder
#mashyeraxleracing
#dontpokethebearson

Eddyj said:

#cantbuytalent
#creditcardcowboy
#blamethebuilder
#mashyeraxleracing
#dontpokethebearson

Heres ya a little something to go with that Jon

Eddyj said:

#cantbuytalent
#creditcardcowboy
#blamethebuilder
#mashyeraxleracing
#dontpokethebearson
The axle is fixed now. Knocked it out wearing my fancy hat. Ain't you got some corn dogs to cook?

Having a doubler and runing a single 205 for a while, I really think a 3.0 case like an atlas or lomax would be the optimal case gearing. skip the weight and hassle of a double and so 3.0

I called North West Fab today and talked to them about the Titian black box, very nice guy, spent time with me and answered all my questions, I think this is the route I'm going, bullet proof 4 speed transfer case about 1500 cheaper than a atlas 4 speed.

I run the "Titan" box as well. The main difference between the Titan and other models are the list of internals that make it the "Titan". So whether you order the DIY box with no anodizing or powder coat or the full blown black Titan you are essentially getting the same great product but you choose how much is done by NWF or by you based on cost.

The dude that fields your calls was always very helpful my case as well.

I'm very happy so far with the box. I went the DIY route. The empty box and a handful of internals that are unique to the product. Then you use a donor tcase to complete the rest.

About all I can add, which I think in your case doesn't matter, is that I have a pretty one off custom list of criteria for this setup to work for me. So I naturally ran into a couple of road blocks that the gentleman and I had to work through over the phone to overcome.

Being you have a super common drivetrain setup, it's truly a turn key design and product from them.

I'm sure you'll find as soon as you place your order that there may also be a lead time for production, like atlas. It seemed the 4spd atlas uses the identical NWF box design.

Just out of curiosity.. how many of you have broke an atlas?

I'm not asking how many of you saw TC break one at a SRRS race one day when you were riding doubles on your buddy's sweet 700 grizzly with 30s, and snorkels, and an inappropriate # of light bars.

Also, I'm not making an argument for or against any of them, just curious.

Re:

I haven't broken one. ......yet. man's gotta have goals

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

smbroady82 said:

I'm not asking how many of you saw TC break one at a SRRS race one day when you were riding doubles on your buddy's sweet 700 grizzly with 30s, and snorkels, and an inappropriate # of light bars.

Also, I'm not making an argument for or against any of them, just curious.
Not "many" people other than racers that beat the guts out of their buggies and land full throttle weekly will ever break one and is still one of the best option for a 2 speed case. The big thing about the Titan Black box is that it is essentially the same as the 4 speed atlas at half the cost and the same or better strength which gives a ton of gear options like back in the toyota crawling days...
-much shorter and lighter than a traditional 203/205 doubler setup at 5.35'' long
-comes with an 1.75" 34 spline output shaft

My brother and i did a ton of research when debating on what to purchase for his buggy when/if he ever takes out his 4.0 and does the 6.0 swap ( Engine already sitting in the shop floor). Ultimately it came down to wanting more gearing options like the 4 speed atlas but for much less $$ and not compromising strength.
Its not for everyone but if you have 6 extra inches to spare its definitely a good option.
Its what i will go to if anything ever happens to my 203 in my 203/205 setup.

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
I haven't broken one. ......yet. man's gotta have goals

I like the way you think sir

zayne2427 said:
Not "many" people other than racers that beat the guts out of their buggies and land full throttle weekly will ever break one and is still one of the best option for a 2 speed case. The big thing about the Titan Black box is that it is essentially the same as the 4 speed atlas at half the cost and the same or better strength which gives a ton of gear options like back in the toyota crawling days...
-much shorter and lighter than a traditional 203/205 doubler setup at 5.35'' long
-comes with an 1.75" 34 spline output shaft

My brother and i did a ton of research when debating on what to purchase for his buggy when/if he ever takes out his 4.0 and does the 6.0 swap ( Engine already sitting in the shop floor). Ultimately it came down to wanting more gearing options like the 4 speed atlas but for much less $$ and not compromising strength.
Its not for everyone but if you have 6 extra inches to spare its definitely a good option.
Its what i will go to if anything ever happens to my 203 in my 203/205 setup.

I love the idea of one. Unfortunately 6 inches longer drivetrain isnt a possibility for me with thw length of my undercarriage.

Im thinking your engine would have to be pushed forward for it not to cause problems. Maybe with a powerglide the extra length wouldnt be to bad. May have to go with a 2 piece front shaft or it would be a mile long. Especially if you have a pass drop axle. With a gm engine the starter could be in the way.

A lot to think about before going and buying a black box.

I have an Atlas 4.3 now and couldn't be more satisfied with it. I may add a NW Fab crawl box to get additional front driveshaft length at some point.
In the past I have had about every combination of t cases. By far my favorite was a Klune V/ Ford 205 doubler. The Klune was 2.72:1 and the 205 was obviously 2:1. Strong, easy to package in a YJ and tons of gearing options.

kmcminn said:
I love the idea of one. Unfortunately 6 inches longer drivetrain isnt a possibility for me with thw length of my undercarriage.

Im thinking your engine would have to be pushed forward for it not to cause problems. Maybe with a powerglide the extra length wouldnt be to bad. May have to go with a 2 piece front shaft or it would be a mile long. Especially if you have a pass drop axle. With a gm engine the starter could be in the way.

A lot to think about before going and buying a black box.

Yeah, your buggy is a little more compact, in Zebs situation (legend buggy) there is an acre of space up front for room. The 6.0 is actually 4" shorter than the 4.0, the AW4 has a pretty good size adapter going from it to the Ford 205 and he already has a 2 piece front driveshaft. The 205 will stay mounted in the same location and the engine has plenty of room to be mounted foward.
It Definitely wont work in every situation but for his it should work out really well. If he goes ahead with the swap he's planning on redoing the tube work on the front end as well (He changes his mind weekly). Who knows, he may sale the legend and put the new engine, trans, and case in another rolling chassis.

smbroady82 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Re:

This black box costs how many doll hairs?

Re: Re:

BUG-E J said:
I like the way you think sir
The most HP I have ever had was maybe 100 at the wheels ( ha). Should be closer to 200 in the next buggy, along with a good transmission and axles.. ....**** should get interesting quicklike

c809fe4bbd22d6a5fff5b98858a3b53c.jpg

Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWF also offers an ECO box starting just under $800. Builder sources a 231 or 241 for the ring gear and planetary. Install those into the supplied NWF billet housing and add you favorite 205. I have a buddy running one it's a nice unit. I have a pattern to make a doubler plate using a 231/241 case half. The main shaft that everyone tosses when dong a slip yoke eliminator can be turned and resplined. I had Hudlowe Axle do it for me then hardened. I wish I had the resources to make multiples.

(http://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-Eco-Box-Billet-Planetary-Doubler-Case_p_2403.html)

I stinkin love mine. I'm glad I chose to go the route I did. 7.42:1 is the bomb along with my brakes being able to hold that ratio at idle