• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transforming horse trailer to crawler hauler

Dizzel568

Note: I will add pics very soon. Also this is my first fabracation project so I realize it might not be perfect but we all start somewhere and it fits my needs.
Also the rig I plan to haul is in the 3500-4000 lbs range

I picked up a 1979 4 horse trailer with living quarters about 8-9 weeks ago to convert into a low buck crawler hauler.after picking it up in Louisville ky and pulling it home it was time to tear down. Took the gate off the back, all the dividers out, cut out the wooden floor. After that I put the trailer on jack stands every 6' or so . this was to make sure the frame was supported evenly and did not get tweaked when the walls And roof came off.after removing the walls and roof there was a ton of grinding. The original frame was rusted, not wasted but bad enough. So I decided to double frame it due to the rust and the fact much structural support was lost by removing the roof and walls. The original frame was 3x3 1/4 with 2x2 3/16 crossmembers. There was going to be 15 feet of hauling area so I decided to add 3 feet for 18 foot of deck space. I used 3 1/2x3 1/2 1/4" angle for doubling the main frame. The 18 ft sticks where put in place and welded in for the double frame, after that the 2x2 3/16 crossmembers where put in on 3 foot centers.these where also doubled, the orgional cross members where the same size but faced downward so there was a flat surface. i layed the new cross members in facing up, this created a sidways "t" shape.A piece of 5in channel was used to tie the frame rails together and cap them off as a bumper. I ran across some treated lumber that was discounted at lowes (1/2 price....score) it was mixed 2x10s 2x12 2x8 12 footers. This worked fine for my floor and dnt break the bank. The upward facing angle that I used to double the crossmembers is 2", so this did not effect the floor seems their the same thickness. A storage box between the fenders was next. A friend did this for strength and help tie everything together on his so I went with the idea also. I wanted to be able to straddle it with a smaller rig if need be so it's only 15" high (15"x4'x6') . To help with support and help add strength I used 3/16 plate in a 12" triangle for gussets to tie the frame,box, and fenders together.

This is currently where I'm at. Lights, and a spring over axle kit( horse trailer did not sit very high but this will put me at 1' from the ground to rear bumper loaded) are all that's left before moving into the living area. I'm also on the fence right now but I think I'm going to upgrade the 3500 lbs axles for some 7000 lbs units incase I ever get a bigger rig.

What it started life as

Floor gone

Walls gone

Roof gone

New frame rails going in. You can see the 3 foot i added here. I measured a couple other trailers before i decided to add on. Its 8 foot from the center of the rear axle to the bumper so i dont think dragging will be a problem after the spring over kit.

New frame and crossmembers in

Floor in

Rear bumper on

Scrap money! Cut off right at 1500 lbs

Braces under fenders

Start of storage box

The inner fender is not straight, i still need to beat it over to the gusset and weld but i decided to wait till i have the tires off for the axles.

Im happy with how the box turned out. The lid is not to heavy, and its stout. This made the trailer much more sturdy, esp after the gussets from the box to the frame where put in.

I have plans for 5200 lbs axles still. Axles, spring over kit, and lights are all thats left on the hauler area. for now tho im moving on to the living quarters and wrap the rest up at a later date.

Did you have yours in the for sale section awhile back? If so I think I seen it. I pulled mine out the other day and loaded it. I was very pleased, no sag and it's plenty strong. It has good tung weight. I think the living quarters will go much faster then this first part.

I did have it for sale,but I'm gonna keep it I love the dry storage I keep all my tools and parts in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave my rig actually drives over the fenders, each tire catches about 3" or so before its up on top of the box. By straddle I mean the box fits inbetween the wheel base and I didn't want it to high where a small rig would bottom out on it. I thought 15" was a good all around number for storage and clearance. I did put the extra braces it the box tho where a rzr or narrow rig could drive over. I plan on a winch point and d rings to help load a busted rig. If a guy had to get a broken rig over the box tho it's nothing a few 6x6 blocks couldn't fix.

30th6 that's why I decided to build something. I get tired of taking 2-3 days after work loading up before going on a weekend trip. It's nothing fancy but ill be able to keep everything stored for the most part. I'm looking foward to a shorter pre trip check list. Also we have a 5 y/o so the camper part will be nice for her. There's already a queen bed area in the neck but I plan to make a booth like a regular camper. The table of the booth will drop down to make a twin bed.

Ive decided to put a larger gusset where the deck and living quarter wall meet. There was no issue but it looks a little skimpy so a 16' triangle will replace the 10' one that is in now. there where a few bad spots in the living quarter walls but thats all patched up now also.

Changed things up and very happy with the way its going. I now have another locking storage box and the trailer is much stronger. I had a few people ask about weight. I know we scrapped 1200 ish pounds off of it and i have put around 1400 pounds back building it up. That being said it will be pretty close to the same empty weight as the horse trailer.

The rear area is now pretty much done expect for the side skirts, new 5200 pound axles, lights, and finish paint. About time to start on the living area. booyang

Been working on the living area and its moving right along. Picked up some flooring on sale for a 1$ a sq ft, damaged wooden wall panels and damaged insulation for 1/2 price so that helps on the budget build theme .A friend happen to have some cabinets that he no longer needed so i pick them up for free, its hard to beat free.

Thanks for the share really enjoy seeing crawler haulers. I wish hardline hard a dedicated thread to these. Nice work keep it up!

Thanks! Got the electric in and the walls finished up! Should have it done by the end of the weekend, well all but the larger axles. Ordered some 6200lbs axles, be here end of next week. booyang

Well I'm happy to say that its just about finished! Still a few small things to tidy up on the living quarters and that part will be done. Wiring in the outlets,staining the walls,mounting tv for the kid....small stuff. Only sizeable thing left is putting the new axles in and they should be here at the end of the week.

Table lowered for storage when in transit or the twin bed is in use.

Upper queen bed area.