• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmission catch can?

85toyo

This may be a dumb question but I'm not sure what to do so here it goes. I remember a little discussion on this topic after Game Changer caught on fire at Grey Rock but can't find the thread.

My current rig will be the first with a auto trans so I don't have any experience with how I should vent it. There was some talk of not using catch cans for some reason but I dont remember why. Can running hose be as effective if routed as you would a fuel cell vent hose? Is the catch can to hard to package in a buggy? If you are using a catch can, are you using a trans specific or universal catch can?

I'm trying to save a buck on my plumbing supplies and wanted some other opinions before I commit to not using one.
Running a TH400 if that matters.

The most effective method I've used (which has been several), can or no can, is the ever-popular 3-sides and down. I use it on my fuel cell and have not dripped a drop since doing it. I see no reason it would not work with the trans.

patooyee said:
The most effective method I've used (which has been several), can or no can, is the ever-popular 3-sides and down. I use it on my fuel cell and have not dripped a drop since doing it. I see no reason it would not work with the trans.

Can you elaborate on this setup?

Not while sounding educated ... :)

Its just a method that is popular on Pirate where you run the vent line around 3 sides of a fuel cell and then down one corner to beneath the bottom of the cell. It makes it nearly impossible for fuel to fall out under almost any circumstance. Search fuel cell vents combined with 3 sides on Pirate and it should turn up. There was a big fuel cell vent thread related to racing that it was in. I believe that John G is also a big fan of it. He posted a link to it once a while back but I have no clue how to find it now. Maybe he will chime in with it again.

InDaShop said:
google this
"FATS vent routing"

3 sides and down is different than FATS I believe? I tried FATS and found that once fuel did make it to the catch can / fuel filter it would never go out and therefore eventually overflowed and allowed fuel to spill out. After that is when I did 3 sides and down and have't had issues since.

I did some more looking on summits website last night. I've decided to go with the three sides and down method using a cheap plastic catch can. All of the th400 bolt on cans were $100 and I'm not trying to spend that much on a catch can.

Thanks for the input Patooyee thumb.gif

If you go to Billavista's tech pages he has some good info on this, also you can get a fram fuel filter for a dodge durango i think? that has the in and out on one side that makes a decent catch-can/filter, i think the part number is on his fuel cell venting page

patooyee said:
3 sides and down is different than FATS I believe? I tried FATS and found that once fuel did make it to the catch can / fuel filter it would never go out and therefore eventually overflowed and allowed fuel to spill out. After that is when I did 3 sides and down and have't had issues since.

you are right, but i was going for the high level, i'm not drawring peektures and stuff up. :flipoff1:

85toyo said:
I did some more looking on summits website last night. I've decided to go with the three sides and down method using a cheap plastic catch can. All of the th400 bolt on cans were $100 and I'm not trying to spend that much on a catch can.

Thanks for the input Patooyee thumb.gif

NP. FWIW, I don't have a catch can. I just have a rollover valve in the line and a barbed filter at the end of the line for good measure.

Three sides and down is the only way to go in my opinion.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 88
If you decide that a catch can is needed the aluminum water bottles from the dollar store work great for a diy project and low cost too.
The top is pipe thread. Drill a small hole in the bottom for a bulkhead fitting, vacuum tube, done.

It you look closely you can see mine for the radiator overflow at the right side of the pic. Silver bottle with small black elbow hose on the top. Right between the shock and the headlight.