• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmission Heat coating?

Blase

Has anyone coated the outside of their automatic transmission with Lizard Skin (The ceramic heat coating) to keep the heat down? I know a lot of bouncers have the transmission open to the drivers compartment so I'm hoping someone has already tried this.

I'm debating if I want to just build a cover and coat it or if I can save some room and just coat the complete outside of the transmission (case and pan).

Trans in question is a TH350 if that matters.

I tried asking on pirate thinking maybe a comp. guy would say they had tried it but so far all I've gotten is lots of 1/2 empties saying they think its a bad idea with no experience with this idea. :flipoff1:

EDIT: This is what I'm working with.

IMG_2718_zps9822b9c6.jpg

Plenty of room to build a cover over it! I was just wondering if anyone has tried this instead of building a cover.

I would want the transmission to expel all the heat it can. If you coat it so it is cooler outside, then it must go up inside. Build you a tunnel to keep most of the heat out of the cab.

that's exactly what I was thinking also, I would bet it would burn one up pretty quick, but never know for sure till you try.

I would leave the case bare to help radiate the heat. Then focus on building a cover/panel over the trans to protect you from the heat and flying parts if the trans. or conveter grenades.
Maybe even use a cooler with a fan and the fan pulling cab air across the cooler>trans. and away from the driver?

I don't know how true it is but over heard of people painting the engine blocks on their hotrods white and that keeps them cooler may be worthe a ahot