• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

heat shield!!!

logon444

whats up guys..

i have a full tube chassis buggy (old we rock buggy) it has a 4.3L vortec 700r4 atlas.. aluminum floors (12 ga. if that helps anybody) my problem is it gets hot while wheeling for long periods of time... trans tunnel is hot to the touch and you cant rest your leg on it if wearing shorts... so heres my issue... its an old buggy built in 2001 as a comp buggy so its not new aluminum that i can just stick some sticky heat shield on and not worry about... i have used lizard skin at work but i dont think it will last getting in and out and with the mud and washing it... and to be honest i dont wanna spend 1k in a few panels under that i can rivet or bolt on.. wanna keep it cheap but want it to work... so theres some opinions on the good old amazon that are sticky back fiber glass middle and aluminum front that might be worth a try... but i dont know how clean i could get the aluminum up and over trans with out removing the trans (which i do not wanna do) or removing the interior (yep still dont wanna do that) so i wouldn't hate to do something inside the cab but want it to last a little while at least...

any ideas would be appreciated pictures of your build are welcome!!! thanks in advance...

DEI reflect-a-gold is working great for me. It is not the cheapest stuff out there, but I chose it after talking to some U4 guys that used to blister their feet before lining the panels.

Mine is TIGHT...headers are about 1/2 inch away from the panel right at my foot. I put a layer of the stuff on the inside and while the panel still gets warm, it is not too hot to rest my bare leg on. Doesnt melt my shoes.

You can also use an air gap to cut down on panel heat. If you can fit another little panel where your leg touches and space it out some off the panel AND put some heat shielding in there...you would probably have a cool to the touch panel right on your leg.

order some cheap "air bake" cookie sheets and attached them to the panels/floor, or anywhere your body touches.

they are double layer aluminum sheet with an air gap

I have heard good things about that gold tape... I was thinking about that lizard skin ceramic coating with bed liner on top so I don't wear threw the lizard skin... and if that didn't work I was gonna do a raised center console above the existing transfer tunnel with storage and all inside of that...