• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Truck campers

A couple people at my work have bought brand new slideout campers, and they're into them $30K plus. Gotta remember for the longer ones, you're also looking at buying a Superhitch $$$$.

Me, I'm on the lookout for an older 8-foot camper, shitter and shower optional, though I might get a porta-john for one if I go that way. But I'm also a cheap bastard, and have a good 100 horse less than a Superduty.

:cool:
attachment.php

Funny this whole subject should come up right now. I too am like skinny pedal. I have a short bed truck(I love my truck in town) but I hate trying to tow with the camper on it. So I started figuring out size and stuff and I am going to get a 28' goose neck built, then I am going to sell my 8' S&S camper and get a bigger one with a slide and generator.

TNT trailers will build a new trailer for $6000 and I am looking at a 11' Arctic Fox all decked out for $18,000. So I'll be into it for $24,000 but as it stands right now I can't get a bigger camper becasue of my truck. I'll leave the camper on the trailer all the time. If I am just going out for the day I'll use my flat bed trailer. Plus I was looking at a setup someone from Idaho had for sale, they had made a drive off ramp for the front side of his goose neck and he would load his snowmobiles on it.

So if any one is interested I have a 2000 S&S 8SC camper for sale. It has a wet bath, outside shower, microwave, 6 gal DSI water heater, queen sized bed, fold down bunk above dinette, dinettte makes a bed too. Electric jacks and a winter storage cover.
Asking $7,300

i have a 93 10'6 w/wetbath and its a heavy bitch! would definately like to ditch it for one with a slideout.

hows the weight gonna work with a 2k lb. camper on frt and 4-5k lb rig on the back... neg. tongue weight?

You do realize campers with slides like that arctic fox mentioned earlier are heavy SOB's too right? 3000+lbs.

3_camper-weights.gif

Funny this whole subject should come up right now. I too am like skinny pedal. I have a short bed truck(I love my truck in town) but I hate trying to tow with the camper on it. So I started figuring out size and stuff and I am going to get a 28' goose neck built, then I am going to sell my 8' S&S camper and get a bigger one with a slide and generator.

TNT trailers will build a new trailer for $6000 and I am looking at a 11' Arctic Fox all decked out for $18,000. So I'll be into it for $24,000 but as it stands right now I can't get a bigger camper becasue of my truck. I'll leave the camper on the trailer all the time. If I am just going out for the day I'll use my flat bed trailer. Plus I was looking at a setup someone from Idaho had for sale, they had made a drive off ramp for the front side of his goose neck and he would load his snowmobiles on it.

So if any one is interested I have a 2000 S&S 8SC camper for sale. It has a wet bath, outside shower, microwave, 6 gal DSI water heater, queen sized bed, fold down bunk above dinette, dinettte makes a bed too. Electric jacks and a winter storage cover.
Asking $7,300

Cool!

you have any pic's I could be interested in the camper.

You do realize campers with slides like that arctic fox mentioned earlier are heavy SOB's too right? 3000+lbs.

3_camper-weights.gif

ya, im not worried bout the weight that much, just want more space. its cramped with me and the gf and 2 big dogs...
ive been looking at the 990:awesomework:

Looking to pick up the Arctic Fox 811 for my shortbed rig this weekend. Just added Pacbrake airbags. Swaybar arrives tomorrow. Already had the SuperHitch from Craigslist. I preferred a used unit. Wife decided otherwise. I liked the new S&S Campers. The new S&S also have great slide out stairs for getting into the upper bunk.

edit: I've found my limiting factor is tires. Capacity is 3,195pds each. Time to upgrade to the next higher size. I think 285's capacity is 3,795pds.

I'm curious to know the difference in towing an extra 1500-2K of trailer with a long goosneck/camper/buggy package vs. a camper on truck/16' trailer/buggy package?

I too am likin the first option with the gooseneck but I like to keep things as light as possible.

I have never weighed my truck, camper, trailer & Jeep. I would guess my trailer weighs around 1,000lbs?? Anyone else?? How much does a normal flat bed trail weigh?
The gooseneck I am looking at weighs 4,000lbs. So if things work out and I get it I'll let you know what it does to my MPG.
Right now I get 11 MPG fully loaded.

wow! thats pretty shitty mileage.

When we went over to yakima a few weeks ago fully loaded with the race trailer, car, tool box, tires,5 Grown men. We crossed the scales at almost 19,000 lbs. I got 13.9 miles to the gallon going there and back.

Now that i typed this post, im assuming a camper acts as a huge wind block.

I have never weighed my truck, camper, trailer & Jeep. I would guess my trailer weighs around 1,000lbs?? Anyone else?? How much does a normal flat bed trail weigh?
The gooseneck I am looking at weighs 4,000lbs. So if things work out and I get it I'll let you know what it does to my MPG.

a 7k trailer around 16-18' weighs 1200-1500lbs depending on manufacturer, my 10k 18' weighs 2200.

wow! thats pretty shitty mileage.

When we went over to yakima a few weeks ago fully loaded with the race trailer, car, tool box, tires,5 Grown men. We crossed the scales at almost 19,000 lbs. I got 13.9 miles to the gallon going there and back.

Now that i typed this post, im assuming a camper acts as a huge wind block.

What kind of rig was towing?