• sheet metal is my friend

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • no doors :redneck:

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • weld em in!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

tj40ounce

I've been going back and forth between building a set of 4 tube doors or 4 half doors on my 2nd gen 4 runner project. I bought an extra set of doors to make half doors out of, but now I'm wondering if it would make more sense in the long run to build tube doors instead.

Pros and cons?

Sheet metal won't hold up, but I'm not really concerned about it. I thought about using spray foam to fill up the open space and give them some more durability. I also like the fact that half doors close off the bottom of truck.

Tube doors are stronger, safer? Look pretty cool when done right.

thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm planning on a door bar and that's it for summer, and throw the doors back on for wintertime. But that'll probably only last one season before I scrap the doors for good. :haha:

i've got a set of half doors in the works, had i started with a better welder/doors they would've been done, but i think there is more work involved in make half doors nice than it would be to make tube doors and sheet them if you so desire. i wanted the half doors to kind of hold the heat in down by my feet and keep crap from flying out and to be "legal"

i've got a set of half doors in the works, had i started with a better welder/doors they would've been done, but i think there is more work involved in make half doors nice than it would be to make tube doors and sheet them if you so desire. i wanted the half doors to kind of hold the heat in down by my feet and keep crap from flying out and to be "legal"

From what I've seen of your rig the doors being "legal" is the least of your worries. :corn:

legal isn't a huge concern since it will be a trailer queen. I will keep a set of regular doors for winter wheelin as well. Kind of like the flow of half doors... The doors are in perfect shape to so it would a shame to cut em up. :masturbanana[1]:

Half doors are better than tube doors. Mainly when trees and stumps rub down them, they dont snag on the jam. Keep the jams minty so you can put full doors back on. Personally I like full doors all the time. Extra protection and keeps the area around the door frame functional. If you have rocker protection, you can beat the hell out of whatever doors are on there and when they get too wasted, hang another set on. Oh and if its hot roll down the window.

I like the look of tube doors but--if you smack them then you jeopardize damaging around the door...

No doors on toyota minis is totally different than no doors on cruisers and jeeps. Minis look :redneck: ugly as hell without doors and there is nothing to keep misc crap from rolling out.

I'm confused, around here we run no/half doors in the winter and full doors in the summer? :stirpot: :wtf: :stirpot:

Half doors over tubes any day. JMO/.02

vehicle in question...

picture027uv0.jpg

It will be linked with air shocks/tube in the back. I'm leaning towards going with 4 half doors at this point.