• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tube strength calculator

RogueFab

We made a tueb strength calculator because our customers are always asking us about material selection, and we figured all you fabricators out there could put this to use when comparing materials or trying to figure out what size of tube to build a frame/cage/bumper out of.

Let us know what you think and if you want to see anything added to it.

www.roguefab.com/calculator.php

TubeStressFEA_zps542c992e.jpg

AW COME ON ,,, what all types of toobin have yall "computer smashed / stress tested" so far :dunno:

this work computer I,m on don,t like clickin on no links ,,,, SO SHOW US THEM SMASHED TOOBIN STATS ;D

We just took bout six different types of toobin and SMASHED em on the concrete with a sledge hammer one time,,,,strongest one in our batch......

.....was 2" round SCHEDULE 80 :****: ,,,,, but that **** is HEAVY :eek:

zukiscott said:
AW COME ON ,,, what all types of toobin have yall "computer smashed / stress tested" so far :dunno:

this work computer I,m on don,t like clickin on no links ,,,, SO SHOW US THEM SMASHED TOOBIN STATS ;D

We just took bout six different types of toobin and SMASHED em on the concrete with a sledge hammer one time,,,,strongest one in our batch......

Here is 1.75x.250 compared to 2.00x.120 with the same loads for an example.

tubecomparo_zps4242bed9.jpg

zukiscott said:

I was part of this test :****: :woot:

The schedule 80 didnt bend or dent.........it busted the concrete :eek:

I would never own a 120wall hrew or dom buggy unless you want to replace tubes every time you roll it.

That stuff smashes easy :****:

Budget YJ said:
I was part of this test :****: :woot:

The schedule 80 didnt bend or dent.........it busted the concrete :eek:

I would never own a 120wall hrew or dom buggy unless you want to replace tubes every time you roll it.

That stuff smashes easy :****:

2" sch80 pipe is stronger in bending than the 2" x .120 high carbon 1026 HREW we posted earlier. And dent resistance is primarily a function of yield strength and wall thickness, although tigther radius tube is harder to dent (and much easier to bend). Sch80 pipe has a really heavy wall, so I can see why it passed your dent testing.

tubecalc2_zps59b81829.jpg

We just added descriptions/explanations for every material in the calculator. We put this information near the end of the page, so readers can gain an understanding for the materials in the calculator if they are not familiar with them already. Here is an example; this is what we used to describe 1020 HREW tube:

HREW 1020: Hot Rolled Electric Welded tube, 1020 steel alloy. This tube is formed through rollers from flat strips into round tubes and welded into a solid piece. The outside is smooth, and the inside may have slight flashing. A seam is visible, usually a blue/grey stripe. 1000 series steels are known as plain carbon steels, and are limited to 1% manganese content maximum. The last two digits are the nominal carbon content in hundredths of a percent. 1020 has 0.20% carbon content, and 0.45% manganese. It is very weldable and forms/bends easily.

Check out the calculator for the rest of them, it would be a long post to copy and paste them all here.