• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tune up

omc-m38a1

Dealer wanted $600.00 to do a tune up on my truck. Still can't figure how they could charge that much. I did it for $58.00, and all that is needed is to replaced was 5 spark plugs.

Or am I missing something?

The truck is a 2005 Chevy Colorado.

I'm sure there was alot more than just spark plugs getting replaced for $600:eeek:.....Not sure we're getting the whole story. Did they give you an itemized estimate of what they do for that $$$???:corn:

Dealer wanted $600.00 to do a tune up on my truck. Still can't figure how they could charge that much. I did it for $58.00, and all that is needed is to replaced was 5 spark plugs.

Or am I missing something?

The truck is a 2005 Chevy Colorado.

They need money :awesomework:

First what's the book time. Then I'm sure they also wanted to replace the boots. Probably more to the story than your saying. :cool:

Whats a "tune up"? 30K service? 90k? Its not 1958 anymore:flipoff:

If they change the air, cabin air, oil/ filter, service tranny, spark plugs, you can see how the price goes up... but $600 is still retarded.

$600 was what they wanted for my 2005 Explorer 100k service.

So I did it myself for $200 in parts, fluids, supplies, etc. and it took me most of a weekend to do it (including the shopping).

Now I know why they charge what they do...

but I still do it myself anyways :redneck:

When I asked, I said. Are you charging $100.00 per plug? He said the plugs were $50 a piece.( He lied. Only $10 each.) I asked what do they do on the tune up. He told me, air & fuel filter and plugs. :eeek: Even doing it time wise. Can't see it. Took me 25 minutes to replace the plugs. While I was doing the job my girl friend said. Is it going to start when you are through? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well if you add in air filter, cabin air filter, fuel filter, tranny fluid, filter, pan gasket, gear oil, rtv, oil filter, oil, plug wires, pcv valve, wiper blades, antifreeze, and (I'm probably forgetting something- but its all listed in the owners manual) it adds up.

Also take all 4 tires off to rotate and check brakes, bearing, seals, adjust the parking brake cable, check the brake and power steering fluid, grease the chassis, etc, etc, etc

If they are doing a thorough servicing its worth $600. If they're not being thorough I would go somewhere else or DIY.