• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turbo 400 no reverse when cold

gubni

www.lugnut4x4.com
I have a TCI turbo 400 and I have no reverse when cold. Once it's warmed up all is good. Also I have to over fill it to get it to work properly. Should I just pull it and replace or is this a problem that can be fixed without pulling it? If I should replace it who do I go with?

Sounds like a bad o ring seal, some ford transmissions are slow to take reverse, you could put a bottle on Trans X in it to buy you some time.

zukimaster said:
Sounds like a bad o ring seal, some ford transmissions are slow to take reverse, you could put a bottle on Trans X in it to buy you some time.

Thanks, but I want to fix it right or replace it.

I have a th350 that was built using hard seals in it. Always have to warm it up a couple minutes to build pressure before it will drop into gear. That's forward and reverse though. Every tranny I've ever owned that went bad seems like they all lost reverse first. Same symptoms your having. My bet is tranny is on its way to death. Gonna have to pull it and rebuild it

That trans x is actually amazing stuff. That and a bottle of lucas is like magic

BUG-E J said:
That trans x is actually amazing stuff. That and a bottle of lucas is like magic

This.... if it works and keeps working who is to say it isn't "fixed right"

Ed with PTC replied on Facebook and said with TCI trans the proper way to get reverse is to engage transbrake and shift to neutral. I googled it and as weird as it sounds, that seems to be the normal with them.

gubni said:
Ed with PTC replied on Facebook and said with TCI trans the proper way to get reverse is to engage transbrake and shift to neutral. I googled it and as weird as it sounds, that seems to be the normal with them.

So.... That's only when it's cold? You have to shift different when it's cold?... what about having to over fill it? That's weird..

gottagofast said:
This.... if it works and keeps working who is to say it isn't "fixed right"

The 41yr old th350 transmission is still all original, never had the pan off. Last year it was slipping when cold and leaking pretty bad in several areas. I put a bottle of lucas ran it for a while then put a bottle of trans x in. It still leaks but no where near as bad and is solid as long as it is "full" of fluid. Thought for $25 if it made the trans live another 2years thats good if no change it was not going to hurt it after 41yrs of use.

Pull the pan and put two new orings on the pickup tube and a new filter. Make sure the filter is low enough in the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gubni said:

If you have a transbrake VB this is the correct way to get to reverse. If you want a standard shift to Reverse, you need a VB without transbrake.

Bebop said:
If you have a transbrake VB this is the correct way to get to reverse. If you want a standard shift to Reverse, you need a VB without transbrake.

Thanks, just had no idea about that until recently.

I discovered that reading the instructions of a VB I got. It had the explainations for both Transbrake and Non-transbrake versions.