• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turbo/Exhaust brake/Towing ?????

Wildman1

Okay here is what I got and what I hope to achive.

2002 with an auto tranny. Mods so far are, Edge Juice w/Attitude, Cold Air intake, BD exhaust manifold, 5" exhaut, and some Stage 2 Jammer injectors on the way. I am installing a gooseneck hitch and will be towing a trailer with 12,000-13,000 lbs total weight.

So what I need to know is this?? I am not trying to be the fastest or beat anyone at a Dyno comp. I would like to build a truck that has a little more power but it need to be relaible and better MPG would be AWESOME!!

Not to start a big debate but what do I need to do to my tranny? Is it just better to get a rebuilt unit, a built unit from someone, or can I beef up mine to handle the power/load?? I also would like to upgrade the turbo but do not want to hurt the towing ability. And last I would like to install a exhaust brake. Now if I go to an aftermarket turbo what brakes cn I use? Also with my larger exhaust is this an issue?

Thanks

Talk to these guy's www.nwdiesels.com for the info you need on your rig.If it was me I'd go with the exhaust brake,torque converter,and maybe a gearvendor over under set up in the tranny.maybe even daul torbo's.That is if you already have the pyro,trans temp,and boost gauges...:awesomework:

I already did but figured I'd ask here too just for grins and giggles.

And yes I have all the gauges-Edge Juice w/Attitude.

Just call DDP 360-794-6092 and they'll set you straight with your tranny. Its not worth the hassle of taking it to someone who doesn't build diesel tranny's and the home install things you can buy only work so good...

As far as an exhaust brake, your kinda screwed because of your 5 inch. Your only real option is get a BD or PAC 4 inch inline, and get some converters to go from 4 inch to 5 inch... And their worth every penny!

My 08 with the 6.7 has the factory exhaust brake and it's AWESOME for towing. You don't even use your brakes at all when descending long grades. Saves both your truck and trailer brakes.

Just call DDP 360-794-6092 and they'll set you straight with your tranny. Its not worth the hassle of taking it to someone who doesn't build diesel tranny's and the home install things you can buy only work so good...

As far as an exhaust brake, your kinda screwed because of your 5 inch. Your only real option is get a BD or PAC 4 inch inline, and get some converters to go from 4 inch to 5 inch... And their worth every penny!

Don't believe anything this guys says!!! :fawkdancesmiley: Give DDP a call they will get you set straight. I do tow all the time and would not be without a exhaust brake. My 97 has a built trans, gauges, brake, and a few other goodies, have towed many times at or near 30K.:awesomework:

Or, call The Power Shop in Enumclaw and ask them to set yours up like mine they know who your talking about if you say "Brad with the silver dually" I was 400hp/800tq@rear wheels, no smoke and coud pretty much stand on it up any grade with any load with no egt problems. I had a bd exhaust manifold, bd turbo, afe intake, 75hp injectors, FASS, and a 4"pac brake with 4" banks exhaust. The turbo outlet is 4" anyway so all you would get is a 4" downpipe to a 4" band mount exhaust brake and then on to your 5" exhaust. Oh, and I was towing my enclosed trailer with truggy which weighed in around 10,000 lbs and a camper @ 3000 or so and could pull mt ashland @ 60+ without going over 1200 degrees on the egt. Good setup. Just tell who ever you talk to that you want to build a tow truck not a bomber.