• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

turbo?

whiskeymakin

:fish:i been thinking about a turbo on my 5.3. looking for any info if i should try it or not. anyone have any experience with this on a trail rig? from what ive seen, 15psi is good for around 600hp on these motors

any input???

i wouldnt worry about the PSI, it means nothing. you need to figure out how much HP your 5.3 can handle stock. if they can handle 600 then get a turbo and start tuneing till you get to the 600 mark. you can have one turbo pushin 50psi makin 600hp or another turbo pushin 10psi makin 700hp.. all in the turbo and how you set it up. all you should really be focused on is what hp you wanna make and when you wanna make it.. boost dont matter as much as you think it would..

Wrong u don't just pick a turbo out of the blue sky and say I want that mommy then run it.yes u do need to figure a hp number or range u want then u figure out what size turbo and injectors so on that u need.also boost does matter that is the whole point in gurgling a said motor. Who need to figure out turbo size exhaust housing that will build boost when u want it to approximately then the right size compressor housing that will make the most power effecintly without turning into a blow dryer meaning making more heat than anything. I have personally seen a 5.3 hold 23lbsur out of a 70trim making 673 who through a turbo 350. But when its all said and done its in the tune that all

never said you just pic a random ass turbo. you need to find a HP goal and find a turbo to support that HP goal then go tune to that.. dont go get a turbo and say i want 10 psi so i can make 7519 HP!.. boost dont matter that much..as i said before

We have done a few, they respond well to turbos just size them properly for the lower rpms offroad.

You're crazy about boost not mattering,swap the pulleys on a blower and see what happens.

wadddddaaa ****... ok boost matters. without it the world would not spin and your wife would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay uglier. your dog would piss in your shoes every morning and there would be total caos, AND no 1 3/4" dies for tube benders.. all gone.

all i meant is he doesnt need to try and Build his motor around the turbo and his HP go. not his BOOST goal. As in, "hey this is ronny, i need 1 sbc and a 50psi turbo, gonna make 653.12hp.." but im donw now sorry for all the posts just trying to give some advice to better your build!

:****:

Boost matters but the turbo has to be sized correctly to get enough volume of air at the necessary level of boost. you can take a tiny turbo and make 30 PSI of boost but only move say 300cfm and wouldn't do anything for any engine bigger than a small 4 banger while you can get a turbo with the right size compressor housing and turbine housing for your size engine and where in the RPM range you want the engine to make its power. Remember the whole reason behind turbos and superchargers is to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine to pack the needed air into the engine to try and get as complete combustion of the fuel. So you need boost (compressed air) but in a high enough volume to actually burn all the available fuel. An example to try and make it a little more clear Take a 100 gallon air tank with 200PSI in it hook it to a 5 gallon tank open the valve between the two tanks and the pressure doesn't hardly drop and both tanks have damn near 200psi but turn it around and fill the 5 gallon tank with the 200psi and vent it into the 100 galloon tank and the pressure goes to **** because there wasn't near enough volume to fill the tank to the same pressure.

Thank u thank u thank u guys and oh did I mention thank u. Im glad somebody else got on here that knows what I am trying to say to help this guy and not confuse him. And yes ls1tech has tons of info I have a account on there because I used to have a f body and love ls motors in general. They handle boost extremely well and make power very efficiently. It will be worth it to turbo ur 5.3 if done correctly because u do want to build boost at a lower rpm or atleast start spooling the turbo. The best advice I can give u on here is to just play around with ls1tech and create a accost. Message a few guys on there and ask a few questions and read read read post.

If you want to make the 5.3 really run well I would run two smaller turbos to get it to spool up quicker.the other thing you have to look at is your engine, more power means more heat,the stock pistons can hold alot but you will need to open the top ring end gap up a bit if your going to make much over 600 horses, I've seen a few motors live with the stock setup for a while but ideally forged pistons and good ring setup would be the ticket, good rods also a plus.these Ls engines are tough tho.

Just curious since this is all way above my pay grade, wouldn't a blower (supercharger) make more sense than turbos? A turbo system is always going to have the problem of losing boost at low RPM unless you run an expensive variable displacement turbo or run two turbos in a "big n' little" configuration. Why not run an off the shelf blower setup that's all boltup and includes reprogramming the ECM for roughly the same money or less than a custom turbo setup and all the headaches of trying to get it all dialed in. Beside blower whine is flashemifyougotem flashemifyougotem Is there some reason that a turbo setup is better?

A roots style blower sticks up to high, it would get killed in a good roll, or suck to try and see around. You could go with a vortec setup or something similar but those kits are higher than oboma's nose.last time I looked the price for a supercharger kit for a new camaro was 7 gs. You could
Build a turbo setup for a Buggie on the cheap!

EOR MFG said:
We have done a few, they respond well to turbos just size them properly for the lower rpms offroad.

exactly what Jimmy said. I'll add small is good for coming in at the low RPM's. The bigger you get the more of a lightswitch you'll have at high R's. A smaller unit will add more value at low RPM's but will top out and could limit the engine at higher RPM's. The trick is to find one that comes on a a decent RPM and doesnt crush the top side. For a rock bouncer I wouldnt worry about the top, thats just my opinion.

The one I have on my 4cam Ford is F-ing HUGE and it adds no value until 6500rpm, but its a lightswitch there