• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turned down 14B gears?

ETO

Ran across a website that were selling 14B gears already turned down and dammit now I can't seem to find it again. Anybody have any ideas or just say screw it and buy a gear and take it and have it turned?

blacksheep10 said:
ECGS was doing it. I got one of their 5.13's

Thanks man that's where I saw them but couldn't remember the site.

Re: Turned down 14B gears?

I'm would think that any machine shop would be able to help if you already had the gears.

InDaShop said:
Laugh but the **** works.
not laughing, just wanting to see the finished product, id thought about flap-disking mine down after reading a few people over on Pirate doing it, im all for it, Cheaper the better!!

No need for pics, I did wyatt's that way in 08, that r&p saw xrra, koh, and in its new life all kinds of rock racing. I just chucked it up in our old POS belt drive lathe and put the 9" to it. Just hold it flat and go to the root of the tooth, the radius where the 2 teeth meet. Install. Done. After that I had Travis (copperhead) do the next 3 :flipoff1: one for him and 2 for customers.

This is after the ring gear was turned down
P1020173.jpg

Elliott said:
I'm lost here if you had a lathe why not just machine it?

Because ring gears are made of heat treated 8620 usually.

You'll tear up a ton of tooling just trying to cut it.

A toolmaker buddy of mine had the same thoughts and after popping a couple carbides, took a grinder too it.

TBItoy said:
Because ring gears are made of heat treated 8620 usually.

You'll tear up a ton of tooling just trying to cut it.

A toolmaker buddy of mine had the same thoughts and after popping a couple carbides, took a grinder too it.

What he said

i turned one down using ceramic inserts and it took for ****ing ever..and it wasn't cheap.. the last one I did I chucked up in a lathe and laid the 9" grinder to it, took a flapper wheel to smooth it up when i was done and it took 1/4 of the time. I've seen them done with no lathe too, just let the vibration from the grinder allow it to turn at an even speed and geterdone..

I'm a toolmaker also, if you get the speeds right you can cut it no problem.I would hate to have to grind it off but have to do ya own thang, what ever works.

Elliott said:
I'm a toolmaker also, if you get the speeds right you can cut it no problem.I would hate to have to grind it off but have to do ya own thang, what ever works.

Try it and report back...
:****:
I guess if you had several (many) hours to devote to it then have at it. Most of us have better things to do.

Cutting the actual teeth is rough on inserts.

I think most of the companies that were selling pre-shaved gears were doing it on a EDM machine.