• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

unimog axle tech

militaryota

looking to start a new build and thinking of using mogs. need to learn more about them. 404s, 401s, etc. good, bad, longevity of them?
thanks

I would think youd be interested in 404's or 406's. Others might be to narrow and not strong enough based on what tires youre going to be using. 406's are definitely strong axles. 404's arent weak, but they have been known to break in the rocks when using very large tires.

Give us an idea of what your going to build....horsepower? tire size? weight? mud truck? rock crawler? daily driver?

the comments below are based in rumor and hearsay

Breijer runs mogs right now, so answer his questions and I'm sure he can give you some ideas

Unimog 404s are gas-powered older military troop transports. They top out at around 50 mph on the highway. They also used them in a lot of early agriculteral applications.

Unimog 406s and 416s are used in industrial and farming type applications. They are diesel powered, larger, and can go about 65 mph on the highway. 406 & 416s are the same truck, just differ in the wheelbase.

404 alxes are drum brake.
406 and 416 are mostly disc brake
406 and 416 are available with an optional gear ratio (highway gears) that are highly sought after by the mog guys that allow them to attain 70+ mph.

Mogs have a unique bolt pattern for the wheels, so you'll need to have wheels custom made, or be prepared to run some military/commercial type tires.

There's a good article on Pirate4x4, that discusses how to convert the mog axle from a torque tube design to a U-joint design.

If you are serious, you need to do a Mog search and join one of the Mog forums and search out their tech threads.

Hope this helps.

it is going to be a daily driver/tow rig.heavy. high torqueand hp. whats kind of brake options do they have?
probably 8-9k weight. 40"ish tires. probably 600hp, 1000tq. or so

it is going to be a daily driver/tow rig.heavy. high torqueand hp. whats kind of brake options do they have?
probably 8-9k weight. 40"ish tires. probably 600hp, 1000tq. or so

U-1000 U1300L comes to mind. With a 40" tire you are going to have difficulty achieving highway speed. An overdrive unit behind your trans might be needed.

planning on nv5600 trans. maybe an additional OD?
do these axles have the strength for the power im thinking?
is there different gear sets available?
im thinking like a 4.30 gear would be optimal

Last edited:
mine are 6.5:1 and I think that is the highway ones. The stock Mog has tall tires and is more of a tractor than a truck. Look into the tallest tire you can stand, then do the math

It is tough to get them in a normal chassis and get enough suspension compression. the center chunk end up in the oil pan and the pinion conversions end up with about a foot long pinion.Or you end up with a 8 foot tall top heavy rig.

It takes a bit of thought to get the axles in to have a low center of gravity. you can toss all the suspension calculators out the window due to the torque being at the hub on the portal box that is quite a ways from the axle tube.

Mogs on leaf springs would be plain stupid.

There are some good reads and builds on Pirate.

I warn you to stay clear from Wolfgang or Daniel Tibus....they are dishonest. Rob Pickering and Don Henery know their ****

Last edited:
planning on nv5600 trans. maybe an additional OD?
do these axles have the strength for the power im thinking?
is there different gear sets available?
im thinking like a 4.30 gear would be optimal

I dont think you can get even close to 4.30

I am 100% sure the U1000 and U1300L have all the strength you can dream of....they are something like 6 ton rated

The 404 are 1 ton

The 406-416 are 2.5 ton

or somewhat close to my undrstanding....i'm sure a Mog guru can correct me.