• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

V-10 in a Ford Good or Bad?

ICEHAWK

what do you all think about a V-10 in a ford excursion? It has over 100k miles and is a 2001. whats the gas mileage like? Thinking about one for the wife and my new tow rig. need a third row seat. plus room for my dogs.
Thank you for the help

Not sure about fuel mileage-maybe 10-12??? As for reliability, haven't seen too many problems with them, other than the occasional blown out spark plug...worked on quite a few at work with well over 150K and still goin' strong (usually they're in for maintenance work...)...they pull good.
I have heard of a few of the earlier ones having lower end issues (99-00), but haven't witnessed any of them...

My buddy had one... got shitty gas mileage, and didn't make the power that he thought it should, but it had like 240K on it when he got rid of it w/o any problems drivetrain wise...

I am thinking about buying a used Excursion next year, and I will check out the V10 ones just because they are SOOOOOO much cheaper than the Powerstroke ones, and it will just be for my wifes daily driver / kid hauler.

V 10

I have no complaints on mine...just turned 96,000. Pulls great, mileage is 11mpg, getting 7.5 when I tow the toy hauler loaded.:redneck:...Oh yeah, I'm rollin' on 40's:corn:

Not sure about fuel mileage-maybe 10-12??? As for reliability, haven't seen too many problems with them, other than the occasional blown out spark plug...worked on quite a few at work with well over 150K and still goin' strong (usually they're in for maintenance work...)...they pull good.
I have heard of a few of the earlier ones having lower end issues (99-00), but haven't witnessed any of them...

That's not a cheap fix either. Most of the time its the #4 or 5 cylinder, so you have to pull that cab off the truck to repair the threads. cha ching!!!! I love the V10's.. Good money :awesomework:

im just not a fan of the V-10 ......a buddy at work has one in his f-250 he blew a spark plug about 6 months ago...I don't remember what number it was but it was like 2k to fix.......also why not buy one with a powerstroke.....it could not be that much more money..............but other than that NO I dont have any real world experience with them.........I simply dont like them:D

V10 are easily half the price of a powerstroke if not more
im just not a fan of the V-10 ......a buddy at work has one in his f-250 he blew a spark plug about 6 months ago...I don't remember what number it was but it was like 2k to fix.......also why not buy one with a powerstroke.....it could not be that much more money..............but other than that NO I dont have any real world experience with them.........I simply dont like them:D

That's not a cheap fix either. Most of the time its the #4 or 5 cylinder, so you have to pull that cab off the truck to repair the threads. cha ching!!!! I love the V10's.. Good money :awesomework:

I've done a few of 'em, and yes it's usually # 4 or 5, but no you don't have to pull the cab....we can do the repair at the shop I work at usually for around $550-$600, incuding the new coil!:awesomework:

im just not a fan of the V-10 ......a buddy at work has one in his f-250 he blew a spark plug about 6 months ago...I don't remember what number it was but it was like 2k to fix.......D
If he went to the dealer to fix it, they sell a refurbished head...at least the dealer up here does/did....last time I checked, they still don't do the in-vehicle repair:rolleyes:...maybe that's why it was so expensive???

I haven't heard the horror stories on the Ford V10 as I have the Dodge V10.. Mileage absolutely sucks. But I'm sure they do fine..

I already have a tow rig.. and the third row seat? They make much smaller vehicles to take care of that. If it's your only vehicle, and you can't afford anything but the V10 for towing and family then sure, it works. But for any other reason...... it doesn't exactly make sense.

A friend of mines wife drove a V10 excursion. It had a bad problem. Wait, two problems.:eeek:

It had a coolant leak that sprung up. So I cleaned up the area around the leak, thinking it was a head gasket. Wrong!! There was a hole from corrosion/electrolosis in the side of the head. Bammer!:booo:

Then the second problem is the value. Which came into play when he was tryin to trade the excursion back in with a "patched up" head hole.:haha:

As for gas, the v10 is not good, I've got 130,000 and have blown the spark plug out. For a tow rig it works great I have had 0 problems with it other than the spark plug, which shouldn't cost more than 500 to fixif you take it in. An honest mechanic should do it for less. It's not that difficult, and napa sells the whole repair kit for like 100 dollars. For an inexpensive tow rig, it's a good buy imo.

I have my R6 and my saab 9000 for my DD's. Bike gets 43 mpg and saab gets 27 to 31 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. So gas mpg is not that big of deal, just thinking a head for my X-mas trip to Cal. Thank you all for the info.

As for gas, the v10 is not good, I've got 130,000 and have blown the spark plug out. For a tow rig it works great I have had 0 problems with it other than the spark plug, which shouldn't cost more than 500 to fixif you take it in. An honest mechanic should do it for less. It's not that difficult, and napa sells the whole repair kit for like 100 dollars. For an inexpensive tow rig, it's a good buy imo.

I've seen the kit Napa sells...no thanks. For a quality coil that won't fail in 10K miiles isn't cheap... And have you done one yourself? The #4 or #5 hole are a bitch to access, requiring removal of components to get in there...the easy holes are less expensive to repair.

what about the transmission that are in the v10's. Anyone know anything about them? Good or bad?

Should be a 4r100, with the exception of a few which were spec'd out with the E4OD (in the first couple yrs of the Excursion)... Both have their issues, but as long as it's been serviced regularly and not overworked its whole life, you should be ok...

the shop v-10 at my old work used to get condensation in the oil and dont do a whole lot of flow through the cooler in reverse so dont try and back trailers up hills in reverse they burn up:cool:

Latest posts