• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Valve adjust on chevy 4.3 v6

TQJ CJ5

1989 Chevrolet Blazer.

Sounds like I've got at least one or two valves needing adjustment on the passenger side bank (considerable tapping).

I'm mechanically inclined and have or will purchase the necessary tools for the job but would like to know if anyone has adjusted valve lash on this motor? If yes, is it pretty straightforward? Anything to watch out for? Any tricks to know in advance?

Thank you,

Terry

Take the valve cover off and get a 5/8ths socket/ratchet. Take the fan belt off or youll eat oil. Start the engine, find noisy valves, tighten them just enough to remove the clatter. After the lash has been quited up then go another half turn. If feeling bored do all the rest after you quiet up your problem ones. probally pick up some power and mileage. When giving them the half turn, doit slowly or it will load up and die.

welcome to the easiest engine in the world.:beer:

Don't know why--I read 98 not 89 :booo:

In any case--if you are having lifter clatter out of the blue---something else is going on terry

From what I've read, the Vin Z motors have adjustable valve lash

The noise has always been present but since I've been fixin' stuff on the buggy, I thought I'd tackle it as well.

4.3 Z motors had adjustable valves.

They're (almost) all adjustable. If they have hydraulic lifters you shouldn't have to adjust them periodicaly like the solid lifter models. If the hydraulic lifters are noisy you probably have other issues like Mike said.

They're (almost) all adjustable. If they have hydraulic lifters you shouldn't have to adjust them periodicaly like the solid lifter models. If the hydraulic lifters are noisy you probably have other issues like Mike said.

Actually not. The vortecs do not have adjustable lifters. Tighten them down and go...

nope--pre vortec terry...

okay, that's kinda what I thought.

Chop Shop, can the quart of Rislone be added in addition to what's in the motor or must it substitute one of the quarts when doing a new fill?

okay, that's kinda what I thought.

Chop Shop, can the quart of Rislone be added in addition to what's in the motor or must it substitute one of the quarts when doing a new fill?

wait till its a quart low or sub one at oil change time.:awesomework:

look for a broken spring. i found two broken inner springs on the 92 donor i got. the outer spring was fine but the inner had broken and was the noise i heard.