• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vortec 5.7 vs. Gen III 5.3

Just my opinion take it for what you think. I had a TPI 350 in my Bronco ported ,polished Aluminum heads full roller motor with cam bigger throttle body all brand new, now i have an LQ9 6.0 liter and all i have to say is wow. I have bout $3000 in my change but i had a cam put in and a Tune and I :Dsold my old motor for almost that. My new motor spins up so much faster so much more power, Horsepower and Torque i dont even think its really a comparison(my opinion) now that i have this motor i realize how easy and how many parts are easily and readily available. If your looking for a motor that you can put in and have plenty of power and reliability i say go with a Gen III motor hands down.

here is my experience with an ls motor. The main reason I chose the ls1 was how compact and low profile this motor is. I turned the intake around "which was easy" . I ran this motor for a year and a half and it flat ripped then I spun a bearing " I was not nice to this motor in anyway" also the motor was free so I didnt care. So at this point I had to make a decision to get another ls1 6.0 0r 5.3. I chose 5.3l the price was cheap 700.00 with 70k miles and there is a **** load of these motors also I was told that the 5.3l revs quicker . If you didnt know the 4.8l ,5.3l ,5.7l and 6.0l genIII all share the same bolt patterns and everythng is interchangable:cool:.So I simlpy took everything off my ls1 and bolted it on the 5.3l and it runs like a raped ape:redneck: Also all the gaskets are o-ring style. I didnt get a special deal on this motor it came from lynnwood truck auto wrecking.

here is my experience with an ls motor. The main reason I chose the ls1 was how compact and low profile this motor is. I turned the intake around "which was easy" . I ran this motor for a year and a half and it flat ripped then I spun a bearing " I was not nice to this motor in anyway" also the motor was free so I didnt care. So at this point I had to make a decision to get another ls1 6.0 0r 5.3. I chose 5.3l the price was cheap 700.00 with 70k miles and there is a **** load of these motors also I was told that the 5.3l revs quicker . If you didnt know the 4.8l ,5.3l ,5.7l and 6.0l genIII all share the same bolt patterns and everythng is interchangable:cool:.So I simlpy took everything off my ls1 and bolted it on the 5.3l and it runs like a raped ape:redneck: Also all the gaskets are o-ring style. I didnt get a special deal on this motor it came from lynnwood truck auto wrecking.

Good info:awesomework:

:beer:

The LS series has been around for over 12 years the other has been around for 50+ that said I would take a LS in a heartbeat. The cyl heads are so much more efficient and the bottom end is durable.

in the end it comes down to what you can afford. get the 5.7 and put some $$$ elsewhere in the rig or get an LS.

If I had my choice I would go LS but not a 5.3 or 6.0 i would be lookin at a asshole rippin stroker with cyl heads that aren't crutched by the small bore 4.8

I appreciate the input, going with the 5.7.

Gonna do some head and camshaft work while it's apart, as well as some custom ECM programming. For what I'm paying for the whole package, it makes good financial sense for me. I'll be starting a "what to I need" thread in tech soon, just in case I'm over looking some things involved in the swap.

Thanks

John

I dont know where you are paying 2500 for a 5.3l with tranny and harness, you can buy a complete wrecked vehicle from co-part for that price. A friend of mine bought an 01' 5.3 with harness, computer, 100% complete, and had it shipped to his house, for $1000. Wasnt a special deal, just bought it from a junkyard on e-bay.

Oh and dont forget even with a 5.3 you will be starting with 35-50 more horsepower, and they respond to cams programming much much better than the old motors.

I appreciate the input guys. I'm getting the 5.7, 4l60 (rebuilt w/ less than 1000 miles when truck was wrecked) and pcm, harness, etc. for $1k. I'm gonna do a camshaft and stuff, getting the reprogramming and stuff done for free.

J