• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

waggy 44 steering question

gas is on the right

I have waggy 44 in my yj spring under...stock yj steering box ...I was running the stock waggy tie rod at first...it was a budget build and I was running out of money to buy steering.....long story short is ...I had stock waggy tie rod and built my own drag link out of 1 1/2 .25 DOM using 3/4 himes...reemed the hole on the stock tie rod for the hime....well it worked ok for a while ...but I had the worst turrning radius maybe ever ...so im building all new steering now that I have some extra mad money ....

heres my question
I want to do cross over ...look at these pictures tell me if this is good idea or a bad idea....I understand this is cast steel... i understand enough about welding to worry about that..the top piece is a old pitman arm I had laying around...the piece of cardboard is my template

I want to run my tierod on the bottom cuz before it would hit the frame in extreme up travel ...

Last edited:
It'll be fine, better then running without the top piece. I run a heim in crossover in single shear and the bolt likes to loosen up. I would weld it then let it cool slowly.

I would try to get some better misalignment spacers though on the drag link. I bet you max those out pretty quick when your suspension droops out.

And is your turning radius limited because of having too short of a pitman arm?

Iv tryed a longer one it was way better...but my tie rod was floping over so i was loosing some there...if i turned the wheel the tie rod would flop over then tires would turn ...the top of my set up is the real long pitman arm that hit my tierod and broke it at the box...i bought a waggy pitman arm its flat and about 1 1\2 longer than the stock yj arm...

spend the money on flat top knuckles . they should be pretty cheap these days . then build. you will be much happier, I was . good luck

spend the money on flat top knuckles . they should be pretty cheap these days . then build. you will be much happier, I was . good luck

x2
If you do weld that up.. heat the knuckle in your over and use a good nickel rod...