• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wanna Be buggy build

the_white_shadow said:
It may be the pic, but it looks like your front shocks aren't angled in enough. Bolt a tire on and see if there is any contact.

Tube work looks good.

Well, you were right. The tire doesn't contact 90 percent of the range. But at full bump and full turn it does.

So the plan is to hack up the shock hoop and make it farther forward so the shock can mount directly center line of the axle tube. Then I won't have to worry about the tire swing when it is turned. The bump stop will have to go for or aft of the axle and have a landing pad built off the truss.

Good eyes though. I would be pissed if I didn't realize that until later.

Well,

Hacked off the shock hoops and redid them. The hoop part is now farther forward so the shocks can be in line with the axle. This takes away the space constraints from the tire turning at bump.

Been a while since I've updated.

Got the chassis all welded now. Set it on it's own weight for the first time this past week. Getting paint booth set up at a friends house, will blast and paint over there in the next week or two.

617_Racing said:
Ha I may just be impatient. I generally put 3-4 hours of work each night after work, then another 2 full days over the weekend.
That's what I always tried to do on my last couple builds. With an odd-end week night skipped here and there. Sometimes I would not go at it full bore though while at the shop. Plenty of time spent thinking about what I need to do next or how to go about doing it. So yes, lots of hours there, but I feel like progress could have been made faster.

nhl_bullitt said:
That's what I always tried to do on my last couple builds. With an odd-end week night skipped here and there. Sometimes I would not go at it full bore though while at the shop. Plenty of time spent thinking about what I need to do next or how to go about doing it. So yes, lots of hours there, but I feel like progress could have been made faster.

Oh yes, plenty of slow nights full of scratching head and drinking a cold one. I think the next one I build will go smoother and hopefully by that time I'll have a shop to work in and not this tiny garage.

Re: Wanna Be buggy build

Waiting for parts for the front driveshaft.

Posing in the driveway.
d6a6fd91db4d5b7b95f3d8261014480e.jpg

Got most of it in, waiting on some more DOM before I cobble it all together.

a68c819d953f216b04d0ea5a950b50e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddyj said:
Sooo..
How did your first ride go?
Any damage?
You happy with it?

It went well for the most part. Glad to see you out there.

I did bend the artec front truss, which shoved the axle over. Thus causing the driver bump to pass the pad and get hung up. Pulled the bump and kept riding.

After you all broke at hells revenge I went and sent it on boat ramp..... Damn was it wet. Took a full throttle assault off the rev limiter attempt, almost made it up and came back down hard.

Went riding a little more and almost rolled on backside.

Found this when we got back to camp.
a3892b8374cccc32423eca6ad2efe6d3.jpg

Split the rear truss on boat ramp I'm assuming.

Other than those issues and the trans that sucks, everything else works great.

For the record I drove out of hells revenge pulling an inferior rig. But that's beside the point.

I stuck around and watched you go up backside before lunch. It seemed to do well.
Then we went to boat ramp.
Casey crawled it. :dunno:

Besides the truss everything else looks good. Are you happy with the ride height? If it was me I'd try to drop it down a couple inches.

Eddyj said:
For the record I drove out of hells revenge pulling an inferior rig. But that's beside the point.

I stuck around and watched you go up backside before lunch. It seemed to do well.
Then we went to boat ramp.
Casey crawled it. :dunno:

Besides the truss everything else looks good. Are you happy with the ride height? If it was me I'd try to drop it down a couple inches.

Oh? Was it a white buggy too? Haha

The trip up backside you watched almost sucked. Trans quit pulling near the top.
I don't think my concrete hard tires will make it up boat ramp unless it's completely dry.

I wouldn't mind it being lower honestly. But it won't happen. With the stupid long wheel base I'm already dragging the belly around quite a bit.
Need a sway bar soon I think. Not sure yet.

mdo817 said:
Get with Jduck on one of his rear trusses!

I should of started there! This is the ruffstuff truss. I'm going to hammer it back down and gusset it up. If I had known the truss was only 3/16" thick I wouldn't of bought it. It is what it is.
Most of the failure there was my weld...

Got the rear truss hacked up and back together. Almost got the front truss bent back to shape, needs a little more persuasion.

But... This showed up today

0c4dab2b461ac18cd214af34ac985106.jpg