• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wanna Be buggy build

617_Racing

Well...

I guess it's time to start bending some tube and try to make a buggy. "Wanna Be" came from the fact that I want it to be a bouncer, but I doubt it'll actually be on that level.

Specs will be:

383 mild build; aluminum head, roller rocker bling, RV cam for now, propane
TH350 full manual reverse valve body
203/205 ORD doubler
D60 front; 5.13 with grizzly
14 bolt rear; 5.13 welded, disc brakes
42" TSL on 15" beadlocks.
Some comfy Corbeau seats
2.5" C/O.... Don't have them yet but thinking 16" all the way around.....

Last but not least a big pile of tube. Lower main rails will be 1.75 x .188 wall DOM and the rest will be 1.75 x .120 wall HREW.

So to get started. Spent 4ish years to build up my Yota with the drive train above and tore it completely down in one day.... Why wasn't it that easy to build it?

So far I've got a little chassis table set up and got the engine, trans and tcases on it. Made some legs to hold the engine up so I can slide it off the front a little more once I start laying everything out.
Once I get my buddy's four wheeler fixed up for him, I'll get everything in the center and start laying stuff out in bendtech.

It'll be slow to start off, but once I get that fourwheeler out of here I hope to get rolling on it.

mdo817 said:
I will subscribe!

Good meeting you the other day David! 8)

Nice meeting you too! Once I'm finished we will have to plan a ride for sure.

nhl_bullitt said:
Nice parts list! Welcome to the never-ending nightmare that is a buggy build.

Thanks, I hope it's not never-ending though!

money_pit_yj said:
What coils are those on the pic of front axle?

Rubicon Express RE1358 7.5" Coil Spring for Jeep TJ/XJ

Just some random springs I had found cheap on Amazon. They were okay, a little soft for the V8 but they got the job done.

Playing around on Bend-Tech a little. Not too sure if my dimensions are accurate or not though.
Thinking lower frame rails will be 8" inside to inside.
12" step in the frame rails.
30" width on main frame, 54" overall to have decent elbow room.

I really have no clue what I'm doing though. I have a feeling that it won't be long enough. I'm shooting for a 118" -120" wheel base.

I've never built one but just pulled some measurements off of mine. 14" rise in the front, 5" inside to inside on the lower frame rails and 2.25 between the front frame rails. In my case, I think 16" rise in the front would make clearing things a little easier. Just a thought.

Beerj said:
I've never built one but just pulled some measurements off of mine. 14" rise in the front, 5" inside to inside on the lower frame rails and 2.25 between the front frame rails. In my case, I think 16" rise in the front would make clearing things a little easier. Just a thought.

Thanks! That's some good feedback. I've got a few weeks before I start bending anything so I'm sure the layout will change a few times.
I do like the look of your frame rails, so I'll probably go with a shorter separation like yours.

No problem man. If you need any other measurements just holler. I know how tricky it can be trying to figure out where and how to make things fit without being able to magically float them there and build around.

Not sure what is going on with photobucket....

But here is my latest rendition of the chassis.

Attachments

• Wanna Be.png
    Wanna Be.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 125
I like your design, but as beerj said I would at least raise it 16" in the front... I only raised mine 12" and it has been a pain Getting everything snuggled in there..

iron lotus said:
I like your design, but as beerj said I would at least raise it 16" in the front... I only raised mine 12" and it has been a pain Getting everything snuggled in there..

Yeah absolutely. I took his advice! With the front frame rails only at 3" apart center to center the front has a 16" rise now.

Finally got the fourwheeler out and moved my table to the middle of the bay.

Going to do a few test bends tomorrow and then Saturday it's on!

And no the seats aren't where they will end up. Just wanted to :driving:

So I've got the main rails bent up and a few pieces tacked all together.
It has been going pretty smooth, just following Bend-Tech as close as possible.

But..... apparently the .188 wall was a little much for my bender. It got the job done but the original bolt I had through the follower got bent into a nice U shape. Luckily TSC had 7/8" pins. Then on the final bend of the .188 the harbor crap ram gave out and spilled it's guts all over. So no more bending for a few days until I get that sorted out.

Onto the peeeeectures.

The drivetrain will be higher than this. I need to raise it on the table so I've got room for the belly to go under it.

Jduck said:
Looks like you're off to a good start.

Looks can be deceiving, just don't look too close! I think I'll end up redoing the 2 small vertical braces in the bend. They didn't come out too well, I don't like the massive gaps I have. I've got the rogue notcher deal so I know with some better measure I can get a tight fit.
Thanks for the link material and basically getting most of the 1.75x.250 tube sold for me, Richard hit me up for it.

Starting to look like something. I'm not sure if you're planning on running the coolant through the chassis but now would be the time to incorporate it. A lot easier to build the open ends into it now rather than tap into the middle later on.

Beerj said:
Starting to look like something. I'm not sure if you're planning on running the coolant through the chassis but now would be the time to incorporate it. A lot easier to build the open ends into it now rather than tap into the middle later on.

I really thought about it. I have been looking at some marine MPI tube or something like that also though. The MPI would be a lot cheaper and just run it full length with a few clamps to keep it in place and a hose clamp on each end.
If I run it through the chassis like the cool kids, I'm looking at around 8 or so big AN fittings. I haven't made up my mind, but I will before I get beyond it being a pain to do later.