• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn 5721 winch questions.

monstaru

Warn 5721 winch re-build thread

I have read some stuff on pirate.Kinda limited .Searched around and found one company that sells a reversible motor for the winch.

I am trying to source one locally.Anyone know a good electric motor shop around Lakewood?

I wanna spruce this old Beaut up a skosch.Bring into the modern age if you will.
cheers

Last edited:
I have seen a couple.But they still seem to be non-reversible.
I found the part number and since called Western motors for the reversible one.They are pretty proud of it.

I could not find the number for the Ramsey one.Maybe the same as the Western?
cheers

so, Finally got around to getting a new winch motor.
Incidently this will turn into a tech thread as I search out the best way possible to electrify this winch.

The Warn 5721 is an Old Bellview that was last produced in 1974.
I have sourced the Western F/R HD W-8905 Motor for it.

This will give the option of Line-out on this once non-reversible unit.

I am gonna post in the classifieds for a Warn control box from an 8274.
Complete hopefully

I'll post pics as I assemble stuffs.
cheers

Hi all,

Cool Monstaru, I am looking forward to your tech report (aka 5721 rebuild thread.) :D

Regards,

Alan

OK.SO ordered a new solenoid/contactor designed for a Superwinch S9000.
That should be here next week.
part number 90-14452

I picked up an old solenoid pack/cover from !ton327 to mess with .I WAS gonna use it to make my own cover.But the aluminum repops I foundhttp://crawlorado.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53 are only 40 bucks!So, I think I'll order one of those up when I am ready to rock...

I will be using the solenoid pack frame to mount the contactor to the motor just like an 8274.

After all the parts get here I will try to get this made into a build thread.

Incidentally, if anyone wanted to do this same mod, it is well documented already.AND, 4WP can order the contactor for cheaper than anyone else.

cheers

Kinda!

I cleaned up the contactor/solenoid pack mount and got it painted
I used some Cold Galvanizing spray.Works pretty good bonding with bare metal.

Did the brake cap too.

I layed out the goods yesterday as well.

The contactor next to PBR for reference of size.

Fitting the contactor inside the cover at the best position it closes all the way, and seems to have room for the wiring. We will see how everything fits when the new Aluminum cover gets here this week.

I am going to assemble the whole shebang when I get the rest of the winch cleaned up. It is pretty clean already.
I have tested it and it works thus far. no gear noises. So that should be the easy part.

Anyways....
cheers

Last edited:
DAMN phones lol
I have taken down the parts winch(due to a crack inside the case at a bolt mount location.
And then started looking at gears and such, small parts yada yada...
It appears that the Useable winch runs very well. It is almost a shame to take it apart . :fawkdancesmiley:
But a cleaner look , and better performance are my guide.

It takes me forever to clean stuff with wire wheel on a little shopmaster 6" grinder :haha:

No tech besides the "Warn" 5721 being the exact same as the Model 8000.
I got ahold of Warn and they sent me the owners manual and schematics for my winches. I had heard about the Model 8000 ,but did not draw the correlation that they were the same damned winch as the 5721.
I gotta get on writing down the bearing #s so I can pick those up this week.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Crawlorado makes a solid product.
Perfect repop, and since it does not have the ribs for rigidity on the inside it affords the room for the larger contactor.I'm stoked.

Now to figure out the best way to attach the contactor to the mounting plate.

cheers

almost done!

Test fit after cleaning up

After some Ultra Grey and some shakiness, I put all the bits and pieces back on.

WOOT, NEW MOTOR W-8905 HD F/R
tWoWaY bitches!

On to the next mounting issue.
The 90=14452 Superwinch contactor to the Warn control box plate

Test fitting the New Crawlarado Aluminum cover

Now, all the directions I am seeing say to attach a ground wire directly from the battery to the body of the motor.Where in the hell am I supposed to do that lol

The motor has F1, F2, and A1
The wiring goes :
contactor ------------- motor
black ------------ A1
yellow ------------------------F1
blue ------------ F2

red -------------- 12V

Is it possible to hook the Ground from battery to A1?

cheers
:redneck:

Last edited:
All 3 go to moter , ground goes through moter case or ground through external bolt welded to caseing unles you moter tells you which to ground too

You could always use one of the mounting bolts for the motor to the winch body as well to attach the ground to.
A guy on Pirate said that to. Just seems like a small ground. I mean I don't know for sure, but I will always error on the side of TO big when dealing with electrical systems.
That being said:
I need to make a decision on how to do it. lol
Made up some used/new end freshly wrapped cables.

Time to read more.
cheers

Grounding through the bolts/screws that attacth the moter to winch cases is how most or all of the 8274 I've ever seen is done but I like the idea of the bigger stud welded to the caseing, I've ran both hooked up just to be on safe side.