• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

warn 8274 winch

here are the pics the guy sent me. he is asking 400obo.
what should i offer if it is an older model with only 3 prongs? what should i offer it is an newer model with 4 prongs?
thanks!!!!

Last edited:
if the winch i am looking at has only 3 studs, can a newer motor be put on an early model winch case so that i would have a correct ground?

I hate the word "IF". Yes, you can retrofit a newer motor onto an older winch. However, it's not worthwhile unless the winch is free. Those motors are really f'n spendy. And the four stud motors have three studs in close proximity to each other (the power) and the ground typically on the underside (and it's just a bolt, not an actual stud)

Mine may have an upgraded motor, but I doubt it...I purchased it from the original owner, and he bought it in 1979, the same time he bought the truck to put it on.... Are you talkin about earlier than this T?

1979 ain't that old ago. Newbees.

My 8274 has 4 prongs...:eeek:

That's good. Now go winch a toyota.

here are the pics the guy sent me. he is asking 400obo.
what should i offer if it is an older model with only 3 prongs? what should i offer it is an newer model with 4 prongs?
thanks!!!!

Buy it. It aint' that old. By looking at the controller plug, it's the same as mine. However it'd be nice to know it worked, which you obviously can't check.

(the older controller plugs, were bigger, had bigger plugs, and if I remember correctly were chrome plated doodads also.)

Buy it. It aint' that old. By looking at the controller plug, it's the same as mine. However it'd be nice to know it worked, which you obviously can't check.

(the older controller plugs, were bigger, had bigger plugs, and if I remember correctly were chrome plated doodads also.)

how old is yours?
adn is the price right? or what should i offer?

pic-2.jpg

how old is yours?
adn is the price right? or what should i offer?

here's the older style plug and an idea what people ask for these
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/1045006880.html
notice the chrome plug on the controller box. It's also bigger.

The generation before the 8274 doesn't have the cog-style gear on the outside (brake assembly), instead it utilizes a drum brake with a cable to lock the winch.

I tried to find a controller for it a couple of years ago and gave up...

I just use the in cab controls...:awesomework:

Told you I didn't know what I was typing.

But if you wanna try something, take a test light and figure out which one is hot. The jumper that wire to the wire to the left of it, and to the right of it (but not to the wire opposite it).

The fourth stud is a dud.

(Gawd I hope my memory is right)

alright. well thanks again for all of the info. it really helps a lot to have this website and all of the people on it. there is a TON of knowledge on there!!! thanks again!!!

First thing to do after you buy it, install it, is to completely unspool that cable and respool it under slight tension. Seems like every used winch has a fray or kink in the middle of the cable that the prior owner didn't tell you about, or replace.

You can buy new cable from Warn, but it's spendy. I get my cable from NW Wire & Rope in the Tacoma tideflats. It's cheap. Money well spent for peace of mind.

ya im gonna get new cable and new power cables. my dad can get me aircraft cable for a discount so im definatly gonna do that. thanks for all the advise!!!! oh! and can parts still be boughten at warn?