• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Weber on 20R Q

zig80toy said:
What do you think of that stand alone throttle body injection system that holly makes? Reason i ask: It doesn't have much computer input. I think an O2 sensor is all...
It's garbage. I had the old analog version (open loop even) and it was GARBAGE, and I haven't heard much better about the newer versions.

heep70 said:
Now that I have been talked out of a Weber I think I will deal with my stock pile of carb. I might have found the fuel eating problem, but the problem with it dieing on decents still lives. It also idles higher on inclines.

What do I need to do with the float to help correct the dieing decent problem? :beer:

I started a new thread on my stock carb fix.

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6152

i have a weber on my 20/22 motor and it works just fine. the stock carb was a worthless untunable POS that ran leaner than **** for my engine.

Ive got some of the same problems with my Weber. Dies and bogs out on hill climbs, no problems with decents though. Or getting too high up in altitude it starts idling like a POS too. Just a pain when it dies on a hill climb and you lose power brakes and steering while trying to get back down :mad:

Ive been thinking about doing an EFI swap onto mine, although Im not sure where to start. I figure Ill research it more when Im more serious about it, although Crash said the EFI off a Celica, and that makes plenty of sense to me since its the same damn 22RE as the trucks. As a matter of fact, I think theres a Celica with a complete motor in a local yard... Hmmm.

~T.J.

84Toyota4x4 said:
Ive got some of the same problems with my Weber. Dies and bogs out on hill climbs, no problems with decents though. Or getting too high up in altitude it starts idling like a POS too. Just a pain when it dies on a hill climb and you lose power brakes and steering while trying to get back down :mad:

Ive been thinking about doing an EFI swap onto mine, although Im not sure where to start. I figure Ill research it more when Im more serious about it, although Crash said the EFI off a Celica, and that makes plenty of sense to me since its the same damn 22RE as the trucks. As a matter of fact, I think theres a Celica with a complete motor in a local yard... Hmmm.

~T.J.

The 84 celica still had the early 22r motor-open chamber head so thats a perfect swap for the 20r that greg has. Otherwise you would want an 85- motor/efi since they have the new style block.

Got it. So the EFI manifold will bolt up to my head then? I dont wanna deal with swapping heads around since I have the shorter block (and its a rebuilt head). Im running an aftermarket pump and regulator so I have the fuel pump blockoff plate already as well.

As for the 02 Sensor, I can just put a bung in my collector since I have a header, right?

What about my cam? I have a cam for the carb'd version, would you recommend swapping it out for an EFI cam?

I know I read a lot of guys swap out the tank for the EFI tank, but is there a problem with just using an external pump for EFI? Ive done EFI conversions on my old race cars (RX-7s), and we just did it like that. Then again, the inlet/outlets were the same size on the EFI tanks and non-EFI tanks, as well as the internal baffle design.

Everything else is just wiring, right? :;

~T.J.

Last edited:
84Toyota4x4 said:
Got it. So the EFI manifold will bolt up to my head then? I dont wanna deal with swapping heads around since I have the short block.

As for the 02 Sensor, I can just put a bung in my collector since I have a header, right?

What about my cam? I have a cam for the carb'd version, would you recommend swapping it out for an EFI cam?

Everything else is just wiring :)

~T.J.

As long as its a single roller timing chain--then yes the intake will bolt on. As for the cam, there are slight differences but I have heard no problems running the carbed camshaft. I think the differences are so slight you would only see the gains on a dyno.

Just weld a bung in your header--not down at the collector but up on one of the tubes.

crash said:
Get a megasquirt control module (do a search on google) and a 2.2 gm throttle body...

I still got a lot of reading to do but this is starting to sound like good idea. thanks.

crash said:
As long as its a single roller timing chain--then yes the intake will bolt on. As for the cam, there are slight differences but I have heard no problems running the carbed camshaft. I think the differences are so slight you would only see the gains on a dyno.

Just weld a bung in your header--not down at the collector but up on one of the tubes.
What does the timing chain have to do with it? I did the dual row conversion when I put it together, but it originally had a single.

~T.J.

84Toyota4x4 said:
What does the timing chain have to do with it? I did the dual row conversion when I put it together, but it originally had a single.

~T.J.

tHE CHAIN just signafies what motor you have

early(dual) vs. late(single)

Got it. So since I have a single chain motor, Im fine even though it has a dual chain. Thanks for the quick lesson :;

~T.J.

crash said:
The 84 celica still had the early 22r motor-open chamber head so thats a perfect swap for the 20r that greg has. Otherwise you would want an 85- motor/efi since they have the new style block.

I am still following this thread and getting info on the EFI swap.

Crash, so you are saying with my 80 20R I can just swap the manifold or do I need to swap the head also?

heep70 said:
I am still following this thread and getting info on the EFI swap.

Crash, so you are saying with my 80 20R I can just swap the manifold or do I need to swap the head also?

Due to the port difference between the 20/22r you will need to also sawp the head over too...

crash said:
Due to the port difference between the 20/22r you will need to also sawp the head over too...

I know I will need the wiring harness. Is there alot or is it pretty basic? I hate wires.

What about anything else? Gas tank?

heep70 said:

Man, i wish it were that easy. I asked this same question a while ago...

Hey Crash, i checked out some info about the megasquirt control modules. It sounds like they will work with just about any throttle body you can find. Where did the 2.2 GM throttle body that you brought up come from? I mean, how do you know thats the best one to use? I couldn't find any info regarding a 2.2 throttle body on a 20R. Is there a thread on pirate or something i should be looking for???
And heep70, Crash is on to something here. all we really need to do is have a machine shop or someone make us an adaptor to mount some kind of throttle body to our 20R manifold.

zig80toy said:

Hey Crash, i checked out some info about the megasquirt control modules. It sounds like they will work with just about any throttle body you can find. Where did the 2.2 GM throttle body that you brought up come from? I mean, how do you know thats the best one to use? I couldn't find any info regarding a 2.2 throttle body on a 20R. Is there a thread on pirate or something i should be looking for???
And heep70, Crash is on to something here. all we really need to do is have a machine shop or someone make us an adaptor to mount some kind of throttle body to our 20R manifold.

So what does this mega squirt thing run $$?

Also, if I found a celica with a running 22RE in it. wouldn't it be better to just swap in the whole 22RE engine then to swap the 22RE head onto my 20R?

heep70 said:
I know I will need the wiring harness. Is there alot or is it pretty basic? I hate wires.

What about anything else? Gas tank?

You will want to get an efi fuel tank--easiest/cheapest way to go about it.

The wiring--thats easy :;

zig80toy said:

They are a total basic unit VERY versitile.. I read something about it on POR and I think "kyle" from this (and por) BBS was looking into it. That t-body can be found on s-10's and cavaliers.

heep70 said:
So what does this mega squirt thing run $$?

Also, if I found a celica with a running 22RE in it. wouldn't it be better to just swap in the whole 22RE engine then to swap the 22RE head onto my 20R?

What year celica?. There are a few differences from the celica FI to the versions on the truck/4 runners...

They are great for 2wd and celica, but not 4wd.I had both 36/38 weber w/ off racing intake and 44mm sidedarft cabs. I would not use them for a trailrig

Latest posts