• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Weird orbital noise

mitchw123456

I just bought a beat to hell TJ in need of lots of TLC. One thing that has been kicking my ass is the orbital is making an odd noise. Originally I thought it was just air in the system but have bled it so many times now with wheels up and down I'm certain it's not air. With no weight on the front end it doesn't make the noise only when there is weight on it. PSC power steering pump makes no noise and zero whining. I'm going to try to attach a video with it doing it's thing. It literally sounds like something is leaking by in the orbital.

edit.. currently waiting on video to upload to youtube, tapatalk and web version weren't being cooperative
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its just normal oil flow noise in valve.

under the allen plug in the face there is pressure relief adjustment maybe its set too low and ads more bypass noise.
you could adjust it tighter and see if it makes any difference.

Tim has an interesting suggestion.

I battled the same noise. It's an echo of the normal noise that travels into the hollow steering column.

Put a NEW orbital on and drill a hole in the column about halfway up on the bottom. Fill the column with spray foam then trim the excess when the foam dries out the hole.

I had a couple issues with my PSC orbital, one being this exact noise.

A new orbital made a huge difference but was still there slightly. The noise echoes up the hollow steering column

Timjus said:
its just normal oil flow noise in valve.

under the allen plug in the face there is pressure relief adjustment maybe its set too low and ads more bypass noise.
you could adjust it tighter and see if it makes any difference.

Ive never heard one hiss like this one. It damn near sounds like compressed air blowing out the column. I may try playing with it some before I pull it apart. Thanks

LightBnDr said:
Tim has an interesting suggestion.

I battled the same noise. It's an echo of the normal noise that travels into the hollow steering column.

Put a NEW orbital on and drill a hole in the column about halfway up on the bottom. Fill the column with spray foam then trim the excess when the foam dries out the hole.

I had a couple issues with my PSC orbital, one being this exact noise.

A new orbital made a huge difference but was still there slightly. The noise echoes up the hollow steering column

Did yours sound like you had air leaking out of the column? This is literally what it sounds like to me. I'm not ready to just put a new orbital on it without at least tearing this one apart and resealing it just to give me the warm and fuzzies. The orbital is several years old though so I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt anyway. I've never had an orbital in the cab as I always put them in the pretty much the stock steering box location and never noticed the noise before.

there i no internal seals in it. if it doesnt leak outside and wheel doesnt walk when you turn it its fine.

hydraulic valves make sound when you push high pressure oil trough small holes. if you dont like the sound relocate it

Timjus said:
there i no internal seals in it. if it doesnt leak outside and wheel doesnt walk when you turn it its fine.

hydraulic valves make sound when you push high pressure oil trough small holes. if you dont like the sound relocate it
This is true. Mine is mounted right behind the dash like yours. I run the same column only longer.

Yes it sounds like air blowing. Very loud hissing under load. You can just hold it under load one direction and it hisses until the load is gone.

Timjus is right. It's normal to expect from how the valve operates. Mine is gonna stay where it is.

A new orbital and spray foam inside the column took care of mine. PSC sold me a junk orbital out of the box anyway.

did you have steering at full lock in your video.
in the video you are bottoming the spool valve spring and not turning.
it means either you are against steering stops or you dont have enough pressure to turn tires= orbital valve pressure relief valve is set too low or your pump doesnt make enough pressure.

Timjus said:
did you have steering at full lock in your video.
in the video you are bottoming the spool valve spring and not turning.
it means either you are against steering stops or you dont have enough pressure to turn tires= orbital valve pressure relief valve is set too low or your pump doesnt make enough pressure.

in that video tires were basically straight and I was just bumping the wheel.

LightBnDr said:
This is true. Mine is mounted right behind the dash like yours. I run the same column only longer.

Yes it sounds like air blowing. Very loud hissing under load. You can just hold it under load one direction and it hisses until the load is gone.

Timjus is right. It's normal to expect from how the valve operates. Mine is gonna stay where it is.

A new orbital and spray foam inside the column took care of mine. PSC sold me a junk orbital out of the box anyway.

alright thanks guys I guess it alright? Ive just never had an orbital in the cab were I could hear it I guess.